Creating a New Landscape for Living
The University Park Alliance
The University of Akron is in, of, and for Akron.
An artist’s rendering of University Park Alliance improvements
We continue to shape the greater Akron area - by providing exciting cultural opportunities and much-needed community services, by driving economic development, by educating thousands of people to become valued professionals and effective citizens . . . and by working with our neighbors to reshape our surrounding environment and create an extended opportunity for positive engagement with the communities beyond our campus.
The mission of University Park Alliance (UPA) is to revitalize the diverse neighborhood in a 50-block area immediately surrounding The University of Akron, through engaging the community and catalyzing real estate and business investment. UPA was established through a major grant from the John S. and James L. Knight Foundation and is comprised of partners including the following:
- The University of Akron
- City of Akron
- Summa Health System
- Akron Children's Hospital
- Akron General Health System
- Akron Beacon Journal
- Akron Metropolitan Housing Authority
- Greater Akron Chamber
- Akron Public Schools
- University Park Development Corporation
Engaging the community
- UPA creates and sustains partnerships to implement the community-wide vision for University Park.
- UPA promotes, enhances and institutionalizes student service-learning, faculty applied research and volunteer projects in University Park.
- UPA helps to develop capacity for neighborhood groups, community organizations and grassroots leadership in University Park.
- If you are interested in finding our more about opportunities for class and senior projects and service learning, please contact us at 330-972-8859.
Real estate and business investment
- UPA facilitates private real estate and business investment, including homeownership.
- UPA works to provide an exciting and diverse urban living choice that is pedestrian-oriented, safe and sustainable.
- UPA is dedicated to enhancing our streets, parks, sidewalks, public art and real & perceived safety.
To learn more about real estate and business opportunities in University Park, call the alliance at 330-777-2070.