Electrical Engineering (MS/Ph.D)

The Department of Electrical and Computer Engineering (ECE) at the University of Akron (UA) offers Master of Science (MS) degrees in Electrical Engineering and Interdisciplinary Doctoral (PhD) degrees in Engineering. Areas of specialization for graduate students in ECE include communications and signal processing, computer engineering, control systems, electronics and VLSI, electromagnetics, optics, and power electronics and motor drives.

Admission Requirements

Admissions requirements and how to apply

Application Deadline

Admissions requirements and deadlines

Additional Information

A student who has a master’s degree from another university or from one of the departments in the College of Engineering, upon recommendation of the Interdisciplinary Doctoral Committee, may transfer up to 24 credits of course work. The courses comprising the transfer credits must be identified and itemized on the plan of study and must be substantiated by an official transcript from the educational institution that offered the courses. No more than six credit hours of research or complete thesis credits can be transferred.

Assistantship/Scholarship Information

All assistantships (and any fellowships) are awarded through the academic department. Students interested in obtaining an assistantship must apply. New students may indicate on their online application for admission that they would like to be considered for an assistantship. Current students must contact the academic department for application information. Each department may have different requirements for assistantship applicants, so all students should contact the academic department to determine these particular requirements. Only those students fully admitted to a master’s or doctoral degree-seeking program are eligible for a graduate assistantship. Students admitted as non-degree seeking or to a certificate program may not hold an assistantship.

Financial Aid Information

Paying for college is a vital part of the education process. It is important to be informed of the many sources of aid available. Student loans are available to degree-seeking graduate students. Information on student loans can be found through the Office of Student Financial Aid. The Office of Student Financial Aid is located in Simmons Hall.

Tuition and Fees

Current tuition and fees schedules can be found through the Office of Student Accounts.

Page maintained by The Graduate School. Request a change to this page.