Creative Writing (NEOMFA)

NEO MFA programThe University of Akron, Cleveland State University, Kent State University, and Youngstown State University offer jointly the MFA in Creative Writing.

This degree provides students with opportunities to develop their skills in writing fiction, poetry, drama, and creative non-fiction. It is the terminal degree.

Through extensive practice in workshops and craft and theory courses, students will develop their creative writing abilities while also studying literature and completing a relevant internship.

Admission Requirements

Students must be accepted by the Graduate School at The University of Akron or one of the other three participating universities. They must also submit three letters of recommendation, transcripts, and a writing portfolio. The portfolio will be reviewed by an admissions committee of members from all four universities. Application materials must be submitted by January 15.

Application Deadline

  • January 15 for Fall enrollment

Assistantship/Scholarship Information

All assistantships (and any fellowships) are awarded through the academic department. Students interested in obtaining an assistantship must apply. New students may indicate on their online application for admission that they would like to be considered for an assistantship. Current students must contact the academic department for application information. Each department may have different requirements for assistantship applicants, so all students should contact the academic department to determine these particular requirements. Only those students fully admitted to a master’s or doctoral degree-seeking program are eligible for a graduate assistantship. Students admitted as non-degree seeking or to a certificate program may not hold an assistantship.

Financial Aid Information

Paying for college is a vital part of the education process. It is important to be informed of the many sources of aid available. Student loans are available to degree-seeking graduate students. Information on student loans can be found through the Office of Student Financial Aid. The Office of Student Financial Aid is located in Simmons Hall.

Tuition and Fees

Current tuition and fees schedules can be found through the Office of Student Accounts.

Page maintained by The Graduate School. Request a change to this page.