Urban Studies and Public Affairs

The Doctor of Philosophy in Urban Studies and Public Affairs is a 64-credit-hour joint program of UA’s Department of Public Administration and Urban Studies and Cleveland State University’s Levin College of Urban Affairs.

This program prepares students for academic careers and for public service careers. Specializations in public administration and in public policy are available.

Students complete 25 credit hours of core classes, 27 credit hours of specialization classes, and 12 credit hours focusing on their dissertation.

NOTE: Admissions to this program are currently suspended.

Admission Requirements

  • GRE
  • Three letters of recommendation
  • Statement of purpose
  • Writing sample

Application Deadline


Applications to the doctoral program in Urban Studies and Public Affairs must be submitted at least six weeks prior to the term for which enrollment is sought.

Applicants who wish to be considered for a graduate assistantship must meet the following application deadlines:

  • April 1 for Summer enrollment
  • July 1 for Fall enrollment
  • November 15 for Spring enrollment

Additional Information

Our doctoral degree in Urban Studies and Public Affairs is offered jointly by The University of Akron and Cleveland State University’s Maxine Goodman Levin College of Public Affairs.

Students may schedule course work at both institutions to take advantage of the diversity of faculty specialization.

Students admitted to University of Akron normally matriculate from The University of Akron.

Assistantship/Scholarship Information

All assistantships (and any fellowships) are awarded through the academic department. Students interested in obtaining an assistantship must apply. New students may indicate on their online application for admission that they would like to be considered for an assistantship. Current students must contact the academic department for application information. Each department may have different requirements for assistantship applicants, so all students should contact the academic department to determine these particular requirements. Only those students fully admitted to a master’s or doctoral degree-seeking program are eligible for a graduate assistantship. Students admitted as non-degree seeking or to a certificate program may not hold an assistantship.

Financial Aid Information

Paying for college is a vital part of the education process. It is important to be informed of the many sources of aid available. Student loans are available to degree-seeking graduate students. Information on student loans can be found through the Office of Student Financial Aid. The Office of Student Financial Aid is located in Simmons Hall.

Tuition and Fees

Current tuition and fees schedules can be found through the Office of Student Accounts.

Page maintained by The Graduate School. Request a change to this page.