Classroom Guidance for Teachers

The School of Counseling at The University of Akron offers a master's degree in Classroom Guidance for Teachers. The MA program for Classroom Guidance for Teachers is based upon the ASCA national model and integrates theory, research competence, and clinical skills to enhance the student's expertise within this area. The academic component draws primarily from the disciplines of school counseling, school psychology, and child development. In addition, training in research methodology and statistics is required.

Admission Requirements

  • School of Counseling application supplement form
  • Three letters of recommendation (departmental reference form)
  • Interview will be required for those applicants who meet admission criteria

Click here for application materials and contact information.

Application Deadline

  • March 15 for Fall enrollment
  • October 1 for Spring enrollment

Additional Information

Overall, the master's program in Classroom Guidance for Teachers is designed to enhance teachers' skills in basic counseling, prepares teachers to become student advocates, and enhance working relationships with school counselors. However, this degree does not meet state licensure requirements for school counseling in the State of Ohio. This program consists of 35 semester credit hours.

Assistantship/Scholarship Information

All assistantships (and any fellowships) are awarded through the academic department. Students interested in obtaining an assistantship must apply. New students may indicate on their online application for admission that they would like to be considered for an assistantship. Current students must contact the academic department for application information. Each department may have different requirements for assistantship applicants, so all students should contact the academic department to determine these particular requirements. Only those students fully admitted to a master’s or doctoral degree-seeking program are eligible for a graduate assistantship. Students admitted as non-degree seeking or to a certificate program may not hold an assistantship.

Financial Aid Information

Paying for college is a vital part of the education process. It is important to be informed of the many sources of aid available. Student loans are available to degree-seeking graduate students. Information on student loans can be found through the Office of Student Financial Aid. The Office of Student Financial Aid is located in Simmons Hall.

Tuition and Fees

Current tuition and fees schedules can be found through the Office of Student Accounts.

Page maintained by The Graduate School. Request a change to this page.