School Counseling (MA/MS)

The School of Counseling at the University of Akron offers a Master's Degree in School Counseling. This course of study is based upon CACREP and the Ohio Department of Education's standards. It is designed to prepare students to become effective leaders in the process of transforming school counseling under the ASCA's National Model for School Counseling Programs.

Admission Requirements

  • School of Counseling application supplement form
  • Three letters of recommendation (departmental reference form)
  • BCI (Bureau of Criminal Investigation clearance)
  • Interview will be required for applicants who meet admission criteria

Click here for application materials and contact information.

Application Deadline

Applications to the master's degree program in School Counseling are accepted on a rolling basis.

Additional Information

The academic foundation is built upon the eight core areas of the 2001 CACREP Standards: professional identity, social and cultural diversity, human growth and development, career development, helping relationships, group work, assessment, and research/program evaluation. Additional coursework specific to school counseling includes foundations and contextual dimensions of school counseling, and consultation. A unique focus of the program is training future school counselors in advocacy skills to assist students and families in overcoming barriers or impediments to success in learning and development.

Assistantship/Scholarship Information

All assistantships (and any fellowships) are awarded through the academic department. Students interested in obtaining an assistantship must apply. New students may indicate on their online application for admission that they would like to be considered for an assistantship. Current students must contact the academic department for application information. Each department may have different requirements for assistantship applicants, so all students should contact the academic department to determine these particular requirements. Only those students fully admitted to a master’s or doctoral degree-seeking program are eligible for a graduate assistantship. Students admitted as non-degree seeking or to a certificate program may not hold an assistantship.

Financial Aid Information

Paying for college is a vital part of the education process. It is important to be informed of the many sources of aid available. Student loans are available to degree-seeking graduate students. Information on student loans can be found through the Office of Student Financial Aid. The Office of Student Financial Aid is located in Simmons Hall.

Tuition and Fees

Current tuition and fees schedules can be found through the Office of Student Accounts.

Page maintained by The Graduate School. Request a change to this page.