Family and Consumer Sciences: Child Life Specialist

Family and Consumer Sciences: Child Life Specialist

The focus of the Master's Degree in the School of Family and Consumer Sciences is on the individual, the family, and the relationship between families and the changing social, economic, and physical environments. This graduate program is based on scholarship, integrity, and the betterment of the human condition. Housed in Schrank Hall South, our facilities consist of modern, multipurpose seminar and lecture rooms, laboratories, enhanced technology classrooms, a computer laboratory, and the Center for Child Development, all of which are open to graduate students for study and research.

Admission Requirements

  • Three letters of recommendation
  • Statement of purpose
  • Resume
  • GRE with a combined score of 900 or higher on verbal and quantitative sections with a 4.0 or above on the analytical writing section OR a combined score of 800 or higher with a 4.5 or higher on the writing section

Application Deadline

  • February 1 for Fall enrollment (only admit for Fall)

Assistantship/Scholarship Information

All assistantships (and any fellowships) are awarded through the academic department. Students interested in obtaining an assistantship must apply. New students may indicate on their online application for admission that they would like to be considered for an assistantship. Current students must contact the academic department for application information. Each department may have different requirements for assistantship applicants, so all students should contact the academic department to determine these particular requirements. Only those students fully admitted to a master’s or doctoral degree-seeking program are eligible for a graduate assistantship. Students admitted as non-degree seeking or to a certificate program may not hold an assistantship.

Financial Aid Information

Paying for college is a vital part of the education process. It is important to be informed of the many sources of aid available. Student loans are available to degree-seeking graduate students. Information on student loans can be found through the Office of Student Financial Aid. The Office of Student Financial Aid is located in Simmons Hall.

Tuition and Fees

Current tuition and fees schedules can be found through the Office of Student Accounts.

Page maintained by The Graduate School. Request a change to this page.

The University of Akron

Akron, OH 44325
Phone: 330-972-7111
Contact us
Send mail & deliveries to UA