Resources for online learners
Online doesn't mean on your own
The University of Akron provides personal ongoing educational support to online learners across the nation throughout their entire tenure at the university. From your first inquiry about a program to your final semester, student services staff members are consistently on hand to guide, advise and assist you.
An overview of the services we offer and how they can help you achieve your educational goals:
- Academic Advisement Center The Academic Advisement Center is available to educate, advocate, and empower you to make effective academic and career decisions.
- Accessibility - The goal of the Office of Accessibility is to provide reasonable accommodations and a supportive, well-resourced environment to our students with disabilities in order to promote their success in the university environment.
- Adult Focus is an academic support service for adult learners. Any student, regardless of age, whose primary life roles and responsibilities exist independent of the University and take precedence over the role of student in times of crisis or stress is considered to be an adult student.
- Bookstore - Buy books online through UA's online bookstore.
- Career Center - The professionals in the Career Center strive to place you into an intership or full-time position that aligns with your career goals. Services include career exploration, resume review, job search assistance, interview training and more.
- Computer Based Testing - The office of Computer Based Assessment & Evaluation provides services in the deployment of online tests, surveys and assessments. If you live within driving distance of the University of Akron, you may use this office for proctored tests and exams.
- Counseling Services - A culturally diverse staff of licensed psychologists and doctoral trainees provide psychological counseling and psychotherapy, career counseling, testing services, outreach and consultation to the university community.
- Financial Aid - To take advantage of the many sources of aid available, it is important for you to be informed. The electronic resources on the financial aid site help to simplify the financial aid process and answer many frequently asked questions. Phone counseling services are also available.
- Inclusive Excellence - The Office of Inclusion and Equity directs the University’s outreach efforts to support our diverse population of students, faculty, staff and community members.
- iTunes U - If your instructor makes podcasts or coursecasts available, this service will allow you to easily subscribe to and download podcasts of audio and video content to your iPod or other supported portable devices or personal computers for listening or viewing anytime and anywhere.
- Library - Search electronic journals, periodicals, books, magazines, and even contact a librarian. These tasks can all be accomplished online with UA's online library.
- Scholarship Resources - This site provides links to a large selection of scholarship opportunities for UA students.
- Support - The University's help desk provides a wiki that is updated with new articles and web-based tutorials to assist you with technical questions. You can also submit an online support request if you experience a technical problem while using Springboard! or any of the University's electronic resources.
eTutoring is provided through the Ohio eTutoring Collaborative. Our students at The University of Akron have access to online tutoring in:
- Anatomy and Physiology
- Digital Literacy (Microsoft Office products)
- Math (from the developmental level through Calculus II)
The Online Writing Lab allows you to submit a draft of your paper to a tutor, ask for specific feedback, and receive your work back with a tutor’s comments in approximately 24 to 48 hours. You may submit up to three drafts per paper.
eChat will allow you to meet with a tutor in one-on-one tutoring sessions via a fully interactive, virtual online environment.
Offline questions will allow you to leave a specific question for an eTutor, who will respond within 48 hours (but usually sooner).
The following tutorials can help you register for eTutoring: