Online doesn't mean on your own
The University of Akron provides personal ongoing educational support to online learners across the nation throughout their entire tenure at the university. From your first inquiry about a program to your final semester, student services staff members are consistently on hand to guide, advise and assist you.
This overview summarizes the types of services we offer and describes how those services can help you achieve your educational goals:
Technical support services
- Support| The Zip Support Center (sometimes known as a Help Desk) provides a wiki that is continually being updated with new articles and web-based tutorials to assist you with technical questions. You can also submit an online support request if you experience a technical problem while using Springboard! or any of the university electronic resources
Academic support services
- Academic Advisement Center | The Academic Advisement Center is available to educate, advocate, and empower you to make effective academic and career decisions.
- Accessibility | The University of Akron recognizes its responsibility for creating an institutional atmosphere in which students with disabilities have the opportunity to be successful. Any student who feels he/she may need an accommodation based on the impact of a disability should contact the Office of Accessibility - 330-972-7928 (v), 330-972-5764 (tdd) or email@example.com. The office is located in Simmons Hall Room 105.
- Adult Focus is an academic support service for adult learners. Any student, regardless of age, whose primary life roles and responsibilities exist independent of the University and take precedence over the role of student in times of crisis or stress is considered to be an adult student.
- Bookstore | Buy books online through UA's online bookstore.
- Computer Based Testing | The Office of Computer Based Assessment & Evaluation provides services in the deployment of online tests, surveys and assessments. If you live within driving distance of the University of Akron, you may use this office for proctored tests and exams.
- Inclusive Excellence | The Office of Inclusion and Equity directs the University’s outreach efforts to support our diverse population of students, faculty, staff and community members.
- Library | Search electronic journals, periodicals, books, magazines, and even contact a librarian. These tasks can all be accomplished online with UA's online library.
- Tutoring. Online tutoring via eTutoring is provided through the Ohio eTutoring Collaborative. Students have access to online tutoring in: anatomy & physiology; calculus; chemistry; math (through calculus ii); and writing. Visit the Bierce Writing Commons for more about eTutoring and other tutoring options.
Student support services
- Career Center | The professionals in the Career Center strive to place you into an internship or full-time position that aligns with your career goals. Services include career exploration, resume review, job search assistance, interview training and more.
- Counseling Services | A culturally diverse staff of licensed psychologists and doctoral trainees provide psychological counseling and psychotherapy, career counseling, testing services, outreach and consultation to the university community. This site provides electronic resources and videos for study skills, test taking skills, and career development.
- Financial Aid | To take advantage of the many sources of aid available, it is important for you to be informed. The electronic resources on the financial aid site help to simplify the financial aid process and answer many frequently asked questions. Phone counseling services are also available.
- Scholarships | UA offers thousands of scholarships and awards—more than $22 million each year in scholarship aid. With the largest endowment of any public university in northern Ohio, UA is able to give many talented students the chance to study. Learn more.