Student Life and Living
Off Campus Student Services
Phone - 330-972-5500
Off Campus Student Services (OCSS) is a resource center and an administrative office dedicated to helping commuter and off-campus students. OCSS is located in the Student Union, near the commuter lounge. Students may stop in for assistance during posted hours or by phone.
Student Recreation and Wellness Services
With Student Recreation & Wellness Services, there is so much to explore! Their mission is to serve and engage all students to learn, develop and succeed through innovative recreation and wellness opportunities that encourage healthy and balanced lifestyles. The department includes the following: 1) Club Sports, 2) Aquatics, 3) Intramurals, 4) Outdoor Adventure Center, 5) Fitness & Wellness.
SRWS are comprised of two facilities:
- Student Recreation & Wellness Center (SWRC): Amenities include a leisure pool with a current river and vortex, spa, jogging track, cardio and strength equipment, five multi-function gyms, group exercise studios, climbing wall and adventure gear rental.
- Ocasek Natatorium (ONAT): Amenities include an Olympic-size swimming pool, racquetball courts and fitness area. This facility is still available at no cost for all enrolled students, faculty and staff.
Residence Life and Housing
The Department of Residence Life and Housing is administratively responsible for managing the University's student housing program. The University provides reasonably priced, clean, convenient and secure residence hall facilities. In addition, the residence hall program is committed to providing a meaningful living/learning environment which directly supports the education, social and personal development of each student. The Department of Residence Life and Housing supervises and manages 12 on-campus residence hall facilities accommodating approximately 3,200 students. Students are encouraged to apply for residence hall accommodations as soon as possible.
Freshman Residential Policy Requirement
The University of Akron is committed to providing a learning environment supportive of its academic mission and complementary to its academic programs. The University acknowledges that national studies find that first-year freshman uniquely benefit from a residence hall experience. Social integration and access to faculty, staff and institutional resources are enhanced through an on-campus residential experience. The University considered and accepted findings that living on-campus positively influences academic persistence and success, including degree completion. For all these reasons, all first-year freshman students at The University of Akron are required to reside in University residence halls for the duration of their freshman academic year at the University as long as space is available. Upon admission to the University, all first-year freshman students will be required to make application for residence in University housing and will be assigned and assessed appropriate room and board fees, so long as space is available and/or unless the student is subject to one of the exemptions below.
Exemptions to the Freshman Residential Policy include:
- Permanent home residence with parents or legal guardians who reside in: Summit, Portage, Stark, Wayne or Medina counties
- Registered for fewer than 6 credit hours
- 21+ years of age
- Military experience 1+ years
- Married (proof of marriage required)
- Student is parent with custodial care responsibilities (proof of custody care required)
- Other extenuating circumstances, including but not limited to special dietary needs or conditions, cultural or religious needs or accommodations, undue hardship, or an other circumstance(s) in support of an exemption which, if not granted, would undermine or contravene the purpose of the Freshman Residential Requirement Policy
Students seeking exemption from the Freshman Residential Policy should contact the Department of Residence Life and Housing to request the Freshman Residential Requirement Policy and Exemption Procedures and Petition packet, or can visit the Resident Life and Housing web site and download the necessary forms.