Support Services for Students
Inter-college Transfer (ICT)
Phone – 330-972-7747
Email – firstname.lastname@example.org
The Career Advantage Network connects students and alumni to employers at every stage of the career development process by encouraging, building and matching the unique personal and professional strengths of each individual to the needs of businesses. It supports career success by promoting a greater awareness of the world of work and the need to view career development as a life-long process. The Career Center staff is comprised of higher education and industry professionals who have a desire to assist students and alumni with their career aspirations and relevant learning experiences with the end goal of permanent placement opportunities. Services are free to all students and alumni.
Phone – 330-972-7082
The Counseling Center provides psychological counseling, career planning, educational counseling, testing, outreach and consulting services to the University community. The Center is staffed by a culturally diverse group of psychologists and psychology trainees. Counseling services are free and confidential to enrolled students. There is a fee for testing services.
Office of Accessibility
Phone – 330-972-7928
The goal of the Office of Accessibility is to provide reasonable accommodations and a supportive, well-resourced environment to students with disabilities in order to promote student success in the university environment. The mission of the Office of Accessibility is to provide students with full access to and the opportunity for full participation in the academic environment. We are advocates of social justice for students with disabilities and work to end oppression by examining social, cultural and institutional barriers to inclusion of all students. We embrace the diversity of our student body, and celebrate a culturally sensitive and accessible campus through outreach, partnership, and advocacy with all university departments.
Student Health Services
Phone – 330-972-7808
Student Health Services, located in Suite 260 of the Student Recreation and Wellness Center, assists students in achieving their educational and personal goals by addressing their health care concerns while they are enrolled at The University of Akron.
Tutoring & Writing Centers
The University has two tutoring centers on campus that provide free assistance to currently enrolled students. The centers are located in Bierce Library and the Polsky Building.
- Bierce Writing Commons: For students seeking assistance with a paper assignment for any of their courses, including help with citation styles, visit Bierce Writing Lab
- Bierce Math Lab: Bierce Math Lab offers support for students having difficulty in entry-level math classes. Drop-in hours are available every weekday
- Tutorial Services: Peer tutors are available to students in a wide variety of General Education courses, with emphasis on classes in math and the sciences
- Learning Assistants Program: Specific sections of many courses include a trained Learning Assistant, who holds regular study sessions for students. The Learning Assistant Program provides assistance in the classroom throughout the semester, with professors and learning assistants working as a team encourage student success.
- Tutorial Services are located on the third floor of the Polsky Building, near Summit College Advising
- Polsky Math Lab: The Polsky Math Lab provides one-on-one assistance to students having difficulty in basic math courses, Summit College math courses and entry level math courses
- Polsky Writing Lab: The Polsky Writing Lab provides one-on-one assistance with all phases of the writing process, including subject development and organization, grammar and citation. Help is available for writing assignments from any course.
- Polsky Study Skills Lab: The Polsky Study Skills Lab helps students develop stronger study skills, including reading comprehension, test preparation, note taking, time management and vocabulary development
- Appointments for tutoring sessions are recommended and can be made by calling 330-972-7046. A limited number of walk-in sessions are available on a first-come, first-served basis.
General Student Services
Phone – 800-655-4884
Email – email@example.com
New Student Orientation
Phone – 330-972-2622
Email – firstname.lastname@example.org
Phone – 330-972-5100
Email – email@example.com
Office of Financial Aid
Phone – 800-621-3847
Email – firstname.lastname@example.org
Information Technology Services
Phone – 330-972-6888