Family and Consumer Sciences Teacher Education
Family and Consumer Sciences Teacher Education Fundamentals
Family and Consumer Sciences programs are found in middle schools, high schools, career centers and in adult education programs. FCS instructors teach courses in child development, nutrition and wellness, financial management, personal development, family relations and global cuisine.
- If your goal is to work in another part of the country, Ohio licensure is recognized by most states and many actively recruit students from The University of Akron.
- If you are interested in studying and teaching abroad, The University of Akron has established ties with schools where you can complete your student teaching in many countries, including Germany, Italy, Japan and Mexico.
- are talented, caring, highly qualified
- place a premium on personal attention and excellent advising
- work side-by-side with students to help turn aspirations into accomplishments
Center for Child Development
- Students planning to work with young children are able to observe, interact with and teach children enrolled in the Center for Child Development on campus.
- Operated by UA’s School of Family and Consumer Sciences in conjunction with the College of Education, the Center for Child Development is an interdisciplinary learning laboratory for UA students majoring in child and family development, nursing and education. It also is a service valued by parents on campus and in the community.
All programs in the School of Family and Consumer Sciences at The University of Akron are accredited by the American Association of Family and Consumer Sciences.
- UA’s Family and Consumer Sciences Teacher Education Program is accredited by the National Council for Accreditation of Teacher Education (NCATE) as well as by the American Association of Family and Consumer Sciences (AAFCS).
- UA’s Family and Consumer Sciences Teacher Education Program is one of the largest in Ohio. UA offers both undergraduate and graduate options for licensure in family and consumer sciences.
Real World Experience
Individuals in the Family and Consumer Sciences Teacher Education Program are required to complete an 11-week student teaching field experience.
Family and Consumer Sciences Student Organizations
Interact with other students and professionals in the field through organizations such as:
- American Association of Family & Consumer Sciences
- Kappa Omicron Nu Honor Society
Page maintained by the Department of University Communications and Marketing. Request a change to this page.