Interior Design Fundamentals
Interior designers enhance the function and quality of interior spaces so that those spaces:
- enhance quality of life
- boost productivity
- protect the health, safety and welfare of the public
Interior design students at UA learn to understand and apply the design processs. Their studies include:
- furniture selection
- decorative elements
- building codes
- universal design
- environmental concerns
- applying lighting and color
- are talented, caring, highly qualified
- place a premium on personal attention and excellent advising
- work side-by-side with students to help turn aspirations into accomplishments
The Student Chapter of The American Society of Interior Designs promotes relationships with the business community and provides opportunities for professional growth and development.
Seniors take a course titled “The NCIDQ Examination” to help prepare them to pass the exam that is the basis for interior design licensure and professional-level membership in professional associations.
UA’s Interior Design Program is accredited at the professional level by the Council for Interior Design Accreditation and institutionally by the National Association of Schools of Art and Design.
The American Association of Family and Consumer Sciences has accredited UA’s Interior Design Program and all of the programs in the School of Family and Consumer Sciences.
Professionals on UA’s Interior Design Advisory Board provide valuable advice and networking opportunities.
- An internship course is required of all interior design majors at the conclusion of their third year in the program. Examples of past Internships Placements:
- Arhaus, Furniture, Akron, OH
- Chez Del, Akron, OH
- Christine Haught Ltd., Bath, OH
- Detrick & Associates, Akron, OH
- Dimitroff Design & Furniture Akron, OH
- Ethan Allen, Montrose, OH
- Jo-Ann Fabric and Craft Stores, Store Planning, Hudson, OH
- Schumacher Design, Akron, OH
- Stan Hywett Hall and Gardens, Akron, OH
- SSA Architects, Mumbai, India
- The Cleveland Clinic, Cleveland OH
- Van Auken Architects, Cleveland, OH
- As seniors, students create a professional portfolio to document their skills for prospective employers and clients.
- Each April, UA’s Interior Design Program hosts a Senior Showcase where graduating seniors present their work to potential employers.
Interact with other interior design students and professionals in the field through organizations such as:
- Student Chapter of The American Society of Interior Designs
Page maintained by the Department of University Communications and Marketing. Request a change to this page.
UA’s interior design graduates have achieved career success in:
- residential interior design
- commercial interior design
The Career Center creates links among students, alumni and local professionals. You will have access to:
- Career Resource Library
- computer stations for resume writing and employment research
- UA Career Fairs