Exercise Science Fundamentals
The exercise science program prepares students through the study of movement to pursue careers in health and fitness instruction, personal training, strength and conditioning, and cardiac rehabilitation.
- There is unparalleled interest in sport, exercise and recreation. So that our students are competitive in the job market, specialization is available through four specific concentrations:
- Physiological Sciences
- Fitness Management
- Pre-Physical Therapy
- Sport Coaching/Strength and Conditioning
- Affords students the opportunity to pursue a variety of employment opportunities in the sport and recreation industry.
- Exercise Science also prepares students for graduate studies in sport management, sport behavior, sport science and coaching.
- are innovative, interactive and experienced in the filed of sport and recreation
- use multimedia technology to enhance classroom learning
- are active in current research, national organizations and local community agencies
- encourage students to be critical thinkers and problem solvers
The School of Sport Science and Wellness Education, located in InfoCision Stadium, offers a variety of resources for its students, including:
- state-of-the-art laboratory and equipment required for knowledge-base learning
- opportunities to aid faculty in a variety of research projects
Real World Experience
- Required practicum experience for each student, minimum of 150 hours
- Service learning built into coursework
- Collaboration with professionals in the sport and recreation industry
Education Student Organizations
- SESC (Sport and Exercise Science Club) affords students opportunities to promote professional activity and networking in the sport and exercise science field through participation in conferences, clinics and club activities.
Page maintained by the Department of University Communications and Marketing. Request a change to this page.
Sport/recreation is one of the top industries in the country. With $100 billion in annual revenue and 4 million-plus jobs, the economic impact of the sport/recreation industry is tremendous. The abundance of sporting opportunities mandates the services of qualified/skilled practitioners.
Degrees and Preparation
A bachelor's degree in exercise science paves the way to a variety of career opportunities in the sport and recreation industry that involve leadership, management, coaching, programming, marketing, selling and legal aspects.
Exercise Science graduates are employed as:
- group exercise instructors
- athletic trainers
- cardiopulmonary rehabilitation specialists
- dieticians/sports nutritionists
- employee fitness directors
- exercise physiologists
- occupational physiologists
- personal trainers
- physical/occupational therapists
The Career Center creates links among students, alumni and local professionals. You will have access to:
- career professionals who will help you prepare for interviews
- Career Resource Library
- computer stations for resume writing and employment research
- UA Career Fairs