Required course materials such as textbooks, course packets, and readings can be prepared in the following accessible formats:
- Scanned into Kurzweil format
- Scanned as a PDF
- Scanned into text files for use with a screen reader or magnifier
- As Braille
Students can meet with a staff member to determine which format best suits their needs.
Requesting and Accessing Alternative Media
- Request to utilize this accommodation prior to the start of the semester through STARS.
- Sign the AT Contract in STARS.
- Check the status of available textbooks through STARS, Alternative Format tab.
- Purchase all textbooks in order to show proof of purchase. Provide proof of purchase either in the office or submitting the online Proof of Purchase Form. You must attach the receipt for your textbooks to the form. Alternative media will not be provided until you have shown proof of purchase and signed the AT contract.
- If necessary, provide textbooks for the process of conversion if the books are not available through the Office of Accessibility resources. During this process, the binding will be cut off, and the books will be scanned and converted. A spiral or tape binding will replace the original binding before it is returned to the student. Students can sell books back to the University Bookstore with spiral or tape binding.
- Download alternative media from STARS, Alternative Format tab, or access through Universal Library.
- If you would like course handout materials to be prepared in an accessible format, please contact the Office of Accessibility to arrange the scanning of handout materials. We recommend a three day notice for handout requests.