- Students are encouraged to contact the Office of Admissions to apply for admission to the university prior to registering for services at the Office of Accessibility.
- Students are encouraged to register with the Office of Accessibility 3 months prior to enrollment at The University of Akron.
- Complete the New Student Application to register with the Office of Accessibility. The new student application is a brief online questionnaire designed for students to describe the impacts of a disability. STARS is the online system that allows students to quickly and easily request and notify faculty of approved accommodations.
- After completing the new student application, students should upload current, disability-related documentation of a disability(ies) completed by a qualified professional. The Office of Accessibility has specific guidelines available here or in Simmons Hall 105. The Office of Accessibility will not accept disability-related documentation from treatment professionals who are related, in any way, to the student requesting services.
- Once a new student application has been reviewed, including complete documentation, an Office of Accessibility staff member will follow-up to schedule an intake appointment. If any information in the application is incomplete, a staff member will contact the student to address what is needed.
- The intake appointment is designed to discuss:
- Services a student is eligible to receive based upon the documentation submitted
- Disability-related needs
- Preparations for attending college
- Introduction to the online accommodation request system
- Students are welcome to bring a support person (parent, guardian, spouse, case manager) to the intake appointment, which will be scheduled with a professional staff member of the Office of Accessibility.