Apply to the Honors College
If you have a high school cumulative grade-point average of at least 3.50, ACT composite score of at least 27 or SAT combined score of at least 1800, and an excellent high school class rank, we encourage you to apply to the Honors College. For transfer or UA continuing students, a 3.60 or above cumulative grade-point average at the college level is needed, in addition to the above requirements.
Honors College admission requirements
- You must be admitted to the University and the Honors College.
- Submit a list of awards and achievements with your Honors College application.
- Submit an essay on a topic provided on the Honors College application.
- Recommendation letter is not required, but is strongly recommended.
- Students that meet the requirements will be invited to an interview to complete the process.
Honors College dates and deadlines
- Nov. 1 - Early admission and scholarship consideration deadline (non-binding)
- Feb. 1 - Standard admission deadline
- Be admitted to UA by March 1 to be considered for additional university-wide scholarships
I applied to UA. Will the Honors College get my application?
No. You must apply to both the Honors College and The University of Akron.
Is an essay required?
Yes, an essay is required for admission to the Honors College. A list of topics can be found on the Honors College application.
Do I need to apply to any of the other colleges?
Only the Honors College has a separate application for admission.
Can I apply to the Honors College after I have been attending UA?
Yes, up to the end of the sophomore year (64 credits).
Would I graduate from the Honors College, or from The University of Akron?
If you meet the academic requirements, you would graduate from The University of Akron with honors distinction.
Is an interview necessary for admission to the Honors College?
Yes, it is part of the application process.
How do I get invited to Scholarship Day?
First, complete the Honors application. Students who qualify will receive a formal invitation.
When will I hear if I've been accepted?
You will hear from the Honors College within 6 weeks.
Learn more about the Honors College.