American Legion Post 808 is open and accepting members07/02/2014
The University of Akron is excited to announce that it has received a temporary charter for an American Legion Post on campus. We would like to know if you are a current member of the Legion, either at another specific post or as an “at large” member, or would like to join for the first time.
Those who are not currently members can join by confirming your mailing address and sending a check for $30, payable to American Legion Post 808, to:
American Legion Post 808
Military Services Center
Simmons Hall 120
Akron, OH 44325-6208
This will cover your dues for 2014. A check or cash payment may also be dropped off to Mary Rossett at the Military Services Center in Simmons Hall. Questions should be directed to Mary at 330-972-7382 or email@example.com.
The Post 808 mission is to bring more engagement with the academic part of their college experience and preparation for graduation and beyond. This new level of resources and guidance is from veteran alumni, faculty and staff who have both the academic and work experience to network and mentor the students tailored to their specific needs. Additionally, the post will be involved in commemorative events, lobbying for veterans benefits and offering volunteer assistance at Veterans Administration hospitals and clinics. We believe this will increase retention and improve graduation rates assisting the veterans to achieve successful reintegration into the community.
We will also accept donations from anyone interested in providing funds for military students that do not have the funds to pay their dues.
The focus of the American Legion posts in the past has been for veterans at large while the focus here is on the student veteran.
Did you attend UA before 2008?
All Veterans and service members are encouraged to update their contact information.
Upcoming events for Veterans
- Saturday, Oct. 11 (Time of game to be determined by league) 2014 Zips Football Akron Military Appreciation Day –InfoCision Stadium – Summa Field, Akron zips vs. Miami Redhawks,
- Tailgate, Fun and games sponsored by ROTC, ONG, MSC, Steering Committee & MVA, Installation of American Legion Post
- Tuesday, Nov. 11, Veterans Day
- Continental Breakfast
- Eternal Flame
- Outdoor Ceremony
- 21-Gun Salute
- Indoor Ceremony
- (11:30 a.m. – 3 p.m.) 6th Annual Honoring Those Who Serve Celebration – Musson Veterans Lounge
- (11:30 a.m. – 3 p.m.) Veterans Resource Fair – 5th Floor InfoCision Stadium
- Wednesday, Nov. 12, (10 a.m. – 2 p.m.) Veteran Career and Community Job Fair – Quaker Square
- Sponsored by UA, Ohio Means Jobs, Akron Beacon Journal, Ohio Department of Jobs and Family Services
- Recruiter Information Seminar – Invite recruiters from all branches in surrounding counties, presentations from departments – benefits of collaborating, increase enlistment/enrollment in military and higher education, MSC train the recruiters on military educational benefits (GI Bill, FTA, ONGS, FAFSA, Scholarships) – Day to be Determined based on military museum displays (this will make them want to attend)
- Guest Speaker
- Military Displays in Library and Student Union
- Military History collections
- U.S. Armed Forces Living History Displays & Presentations
- Care Packages – Undergraduate and Graduate Student Body
- Military Mobile Museums
- ROTC Observance, Breakfast, Formal Speakers, Laying of the Wreaths
- Photo tribute
In this issue
Graduate team wins $10,000 to develop device for marijuana testing
The first all-female team wins $10K LaunchTown Entrepreneurial Award on April 23 — Kathleen Stitzlein and Mariam Crow take the top prize.
Standout business alumni honored with Simonetti award
The College of Business Administration presented the Simonetti Distinguished Business Award to five individuals on April 17.
Why I give to UA: David M. Gausman
Why I give to UA: David M. Gausman
UA to offer core academic courses at most affordable rate in the region
Introducing GenEd Core: Offering high quality general education courses at one-half the average cost of community colleges.
Also seeAkron home Alumni news The University of Akron Alumni Association The Roo Crew
Would you like to share some news?
Send us a note through Post your Pride and we'll include it for the next edition!
- March 2015
- Jan. 2015
- Oct./Nov. 2014
- Aug./Sept. 2014
- June/July 2014
- April/May 2014
- Feb./March 2014
- Dec. 2013/Jan. 2014
- Nov. 2013
- Oct. 2013
Print magazine archives