While the exact year is not clear, the Stitzlein Alumni Center was built around 1870 by James Christy, an adventurous man and local business owner.
Through its 140 year history, the house served many purposes. After leaving the Christy family in 1929, local fraternity Alpha Sigma Omicron took residence with as many as 20 people living in the home at a time.
By 1943, the house would become vacant, however not for long. Tenants over time included United Way, Catholic Service League, The University of Akron Graduate School Admissions Office and in 1995, the Alumni Association.
On September 4, 1998, the facility was dedicated to the generous friends, benefactors and University alumni, Harry P. and Rainy G. Stitzlein, for whom the home of the Center is named.