Our focus and commitment
The mission of the Mary Schiller Myers School of Art at The University of Akron is to provide high quality education in the fine arts, art history, design, and art education. We provide excellence in teaching, research, and community service, contributing to the visual culture of the region and beyond.
Undergraduate student success is our focus. We are committed to:
- maintaining an open enrollment policy that welcomes all students interested in a career in art and design and/or in enriching their lives through the visual arts.
- engaging our students in the world of art and design beyond the classroom;
- helping our graduates become successful professionals and leaders in the local and global cultural communities of the 21st century;
- sustaining a learning environment and an approach to teaching that can help every student realize his or her creative and intellectual potential in the visual arts;
- encouraging and rewarding continuing growth of faculty members as artists, scholars, and teachers;
- sharing our expertise and creative and intellectual resources to benefit of the broader campus and community.