FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS
The Bacc/M.D. program is a partnership program where current UA students apply for provisional admission to NEOMED in their sophomore year of college. Each year NEOMED will admit up to 35 UA students into the Bacc/M.D. program.
Admission to medical school is extremely competitive. Nationally only 42% of applicants who applied to M.D. schools in the U.S. were admitted. That means over half of the students that apply to medical school don’t get a single offer of admission. The Bacc/M.D. program could mean you have a seat in medical school waiting on you.
Provisional admission means that you have been offered admission to NEOMED and they are holding a seat in medical school for you provided that you meet certain qualifications in the time allotted.
Current UA students with sophomore standing and no more than junior standing.
- Have graduated with a high school GPA of at least 3.0
- Have a minimum of 21 on the ACT or 1000 on the SAT
- Have a college GPA of at least 3.25
- Be a U.S citizen/U.S. permanent resident (latter must submit documentation of status during application process)
- Successfully complete 3100:111/112 Principles of Biology I & II and 3150:151/152/153/154 Principles of Chemistry I & II with labs.
Have a minimum one year of academic residence as a matriculated student at the University of Akron
- No, there is not a state residency requirement. However, there is a preference given to Ohio residents. Out-of-state students may apply; however, the chance of an out-of-state student being offered an interview is greatly reduced.
- Yes, there is a U.S. residency requirement. Students must be citizens or permanent residents of the United States. Verification of permanent residency requires that you provide your alien registration number and a copy of your alien registration card at the time of your application.
- Apply to UA for undergraduate admission if you will be a new student
- Apply to NEOMED for admission to the Bacc/M.D. program in the fall of your sophomore year
To be admitted to the Bacc/M.D. Program, a student must submit an application to NEOMED in the fall of their sophomore year along with the required application materials.
- Completed application essays
- Official high school transcripts showing a final GPA
- Official UA transcripts along with any other post-secondary transcripts reflecting all applicant grades up through the fall semester of the application period
- ACT/SAT scores
- Application fee
- One evaluation letter from UA
After all materials have been submitted and reviewed NEOMED will invite selected applicants for an in person interview.
Focus on your academic credentials, especially developing a strong foundation in math and science coursework. Participate in experiences related to medicine and community involvement, and other diverse experiences. Along with doing well in your academic coursework, participate in several medically related activities over your high school career, such as volunteering at hospitals and nursing homes, shadowing physicians, internships, research, medical associations, etc. You should continue these types of activities into your college career.
NEOMED can accept up to 35 UA students each year.
All classes taken at the Post-Secondary level are reviewed and evaluated when students enroll at The University of Akron. The difference in the Bacc/M.D. Program is that the actual grades transferred will be used by NEOMED to calculate your overall GPA and your science GPA. Therefore, every grade you receive at every Post-Secondary institution will affect your GPA in the Bacc/M.D. Program.
Upon acceptance as a provisionally admitted student to the NEOMED Bacc./M.D. program, students will have a seat reserved for them as a first-year medical student at NEOMED. These students will matriculate to NEOMED if all promotion requirements, subject to additional professional behavior guidelines, are met.
NEOMED requires that provisionally admitted students must:
- Maintain a cumulative GPA of 3.4 or higher
- Complete a bachelor’s degree program as well as all courses required of the Bacc./M.D. partnership program, including pre-med, sciences, health related and seminar courses
- Must be enrolled in 12 or more credit hours each semester upon admission
- Maintain a 3.4 BCPM GPA or higher in all science and math courses with an earned grade of ‘C’ or higher
Take the MCAT by the date you are advised prior to starting at NEOMED, earning a composite score of at least 500, with a minimum of 125 in each of the four sections
Sign up for the Discover NEOMED portal at http://discover.neomed.edu/inquiryform
Information sessions and tours are offered by the Office of Admissions for high school students Monday through Friday, and select Saturdays throughout the year. These sessions are conducted by an Admissions representative just prior to the student-guided campus tour.
Schedule your visit by phone: 1-800-655-4884 or 330-972-7100.