BCAS Scholarship Application Process
These application procedures and forms are to be used ONLY for the Buchtel College of Arts and Sciences scholarships listed and administered by the BCAS Dean’s Office (see below). Scholarships offered through specific departments and schools within the Buchtel College of Arts and Sciences have their own forms and requirements.
- BCAS scholarships administered by the BCAS Dean’s Office include:
- The Evan B. Brewster, Jr. Scholarship Fund,
- The Buchtel College of Arts and Sciences Alumni Scholarship,
- The Charles E. Bulger, Ph.D. and Esgar Bowen Foltz, M.D. Endowed Scholarship,
- The William J. Costigan Family Endowed Scholarship,
- The Joanne J. Daverio Scholarship in Fine and Applied Arts (for fine arts),
- The Pauline Franks Endowed Scholarship for Exceptional Students in the Fine Arts (for fine arts),
- The Dr. Sheldon B. Liss Endowed Scholarship,
- The Marna Darst McGrath endowed Scholarship for Social Sciences,
- The Dr. Linda L. Moore Endowed Scholarship Fund in Fine and Applied Arts (for fine arts), and
- The Judith A. & Roger T. Read Scholarship Fund.
- Please note that:
- the General BCAS Application Form is to be used for the scholarships open to BCAS students in ALL majors, and
- the Fine and Applied Arts Application Form is to be used for scholarships open to BCAS students majoring in programs in Art, Dance, Family and Consumer Sciences, Music and Theatre.
- To complete the scholarship application form you are required to include an essay, a resume and a cover letter. Use the cover letter to specify briefly each scholarship(s) for which you are applying (see below) and how you meet the requirements. Please upload documents in Adobe Acrobat format.
- INCOMPLETE OR LATE APPLICATIONS WILL NOT BE CONSIDERED.
- Maximum size for attachments for all three documents is 10 megabytes so please be mindful of this restriction.
- You must be a current student at The University of Akron to apply for these scholarships and you must meet the criteria stated in the award description to be considered for the awards. Awards are competitive and funds will be awarded only to undergraduate students who were enrolled full-time in Fall 2014 at The University of Akron.
- University rules for scholarships stipulate that a student may receive no more than a total of $9500 in scholarship funds from any/all funding sources at the university. This does not include grant monies.
- You will need to provide your Cumulative GPA as of last Fall Semester. This can be found in the Student Center in MyAkron.
- When writing your essay, be sure to address what makes you stand out (e.g., highlight awards, activities, leadership skills), and thus merit this award.
- If you are applying for The Charles E. Bulger, Ph.D. and Esgar Bowen Foltz, M.D. Endowed Scholarship, describe how you have demonstrated your commitment to the University of Akron.
- If you are applying to The Charles E. Bulger, Ph.D. and Esgar Bowen Foltz, M.D. Endowed Scholarship, The William J. Costigan Family Endowed Scholarship, The Joanne J. Daverio Scholarship in Fine and Applied Arts, or The Judith A. & Roger T. Read Scholarship Fund in the Buchtel College of Arts and Sciences, explain why you need this scholarship.
Fine and Applied Arts BCAS Application Form - this form is to be used only for scholarships for students majoring in programs in Art, DTAA, FCS and Music.
Deadline to apply is February 6, 2015. All application materials must be submitted by this date to be considered.
BCAS students of ALL majors