Arts & Sciences scholarship application process
These application procedures and forms are to be used ONLY for the Buchtel College of Arts and Sciences scholarships listed and administered by the BCAS Dean’s Office (see below).
Scholarships offered through specific departments or schools within the Buchtel College of Arts and Sciences have their own forms and requirements.
BCAS scholarships administered by the BCAS Dean’s Office include:
- The Evan B. Brewster, Jr. Scholarship Fund,
- The Buchtel College of Arts and Sciences Alumni Scholarship,
- The Charles E. Bulger, Ph.D. and Esgar Bowen Foltz, M.D. Endowed Scholarship,
- The William J. Costigan Family Endowed Scholarship,
- The Joanne J. Daverio Scholarship in Fine and Applied Arts (for fine arts),
- The Pauline Franks Endowed Scholarship for Exceptional Students in the Fine Arts (for fine arts),
- The Marna Darst McGrath endowed Scholarship for Social Sciences,
- The Dr. Linda L. Moore Endowed Scholarship Fund in Fine and Applied Arts (for fine arts), and
- The Judith A. & Roger T. Read Scholarship Fund.
Application and application requirements
The application process will reopen in January 2018. Until then, the forms are unavailable.
Make sure you use the proper application form.
- The General BCAS Application Form is to be used for the scholarships open to BCAS students in all majors.
- The Fine and Applied Arts Application Form is to be used only by students majoring in Art; Dance, Theatre and Arts Administration; Family and Consumer Sciences; and Music.
Completing your application
To complete the scholarship application form you are required to include a cover letter, a resume and an essay. Please upload your documents as PDF files.
- Cover letter - The cover letter should specify briefly each scholarship(s) for which you are applying (see below).
- Resume - You are strongly encouraged to review your resume with a member of the Career Center. To schedule an appointment, call 330-972-7747.
- Essay - The essay should address how you meet the requirements and what makes you stand out (e.g. highlight awards, activities, leaderships skills).
- INCOMPLETE OR LATE APPLICATIONS WILL NOT BE CONSIDERED.
- Maximum size for attachments for your three documents together is 10 megabytes, so please be mindful of this restriction.
- You must be a current student at The University of Akron to apply for these scholarships. You must meet the criteria stated in the award description to be considered for the awards. Awards are competitive and funds will be awarded only to undergraduate students who were enrolled full-time in Fall 2017 at The University of Akron.
- University rules for scholarships stipulate that a student may receive no more than a total of $11,000 per year in scholarship funding from University-administered sources. This does not include grant monies.
- You will need to provide your cumulative GPA as of last fall semester. This can be found in the Student Center in My Akron.
Deadline: The scholarship application will be available again in January 2018. When it reopens, the deadline will be posted here.
- If you are applying for The Charles E. Bulger, Ph.D. and Esgar Bowen Foltz, M.D. Endowed Scholarship, describe how you have demonstrated your commitment to The University of Akron.
- If you are applying to the The Charles E. Bulger, Ph.D. and Esgar Bowen Foltz, M.D. Endowed Scholarship, The William J. Costigan Family Endowed Scholarship, The Joanne J. Daverio Scholarship in Fine and Applied Arts, or The Judith A. & Roger T. Read Scholarship Fund, explain why you need this scholarship.