Arts & Sciences scholarship application process
These application procedures and forms are to be used ONLY for the Buchtel College of Arts and Sciences scholarships listed and administered by the BCAS Dean’s Office (see below).
Scholarships offered through specific departments or schools within the Buchtel College of Arts and Sciences have their own forms and requirements.
BCAS scholarships administered by the BCAS Dean’s Office include:
- The Buchtel College of Arts and Sciences Alumni Scholarship,
- The Charles E. Bulger, Ph.D. and Esgar Bowen Foltz, M.D. Endowed Scholarship,
- The Pauline Franks Endowed Scholarship for Exceptional Students in the Fine Arts (for fine arts),
- The Marna Darst McGrath endowed Scholarship for Social Sciences,
- The Dr. Linda L. Moore Endowed Scholarship Fund in Fine and Applied Arts (for fine arts), and
- The Judith A. & Roger T. Read Scholarship Fund.
Application and application requirements
The application process is now open. The form is available here.
Make sure you carefully read the application form.
- The General BCAS Application Form is to be used for the scholarships open to BCAS students in all majors.
Completing your application
To complete the BCAS scholarship application form you are required to include a cover letter, a resume, and an essay. These documents MUST be uploaded as PDF files.
- Cover letter - The cover letter should specify briefly each scholarship for which you are applying (see below).
- Resume - You are strongly encouraged to review your resume with a member of the Career Center. To schedule an appointment, call 330-972-7747.
- Essay - The essay should address how you meet the requirements and what makes you stand out (e.g. highlight awards, activities, leaderships skills).
- INCOMPLETE OR LATE APPLICATIONS OR THOSE WITHOUT PDF ATTACHMENTS WILL NOT BE CONSIDERED.
- Maximum size for attachments for your three documents together is 10 megabytes, so please be mindful of this restriction.
- You must be a current student in the Buchtel College of Arts and Sciences at The University of Akron who is accepted into your major program to apply for these scholarships. You must meet the criteria stated in the award description to be considered for the awards. Awards are competitive and funds will be awarded only to undergraduate students who were enrolled full-time in 2017-2018 at The University of Akron.
- University rules for scholarships stipulate maximum amounts that a student may receive per year in scholarship funding from University-administered sources. This does not include grant monies.
- You will need to provide your cumulative GPA as of last fall semester. This can be found in the Student Center in My Akron.
Deadline: Scholarship applications may be submitted until April 10, 2018.
- If you are applying for The Charles E. Bulger, Ph.D. and Esgar Bowen Foltz, M.D. Endowed Scholarship, describe how you have demonstrated your commitment to The University of Akron.
- If you are applying to the The Charles E. Bulger, Ph.D. and Esgar Bowen Foltz, M.D. Endowed Scholarship or The Judith A. & Roger T. Read Scholarship Fund, explain why you need this scholarship.