YoungKi Park, Ph.D
Title: Assistant Professor
Department: Department of Management
Office: CBA 369
Phone: (330) 972-6300
- Ph.D from University of Southern California, 2011
- Master of Management Information Systems from KAIST, 1996
- B.A. in Industrial Engineering from Hanyang University, Korea, 1994
Professional & Academic Experience
- Business Analytics and Information Strategy (MBA Core Class), University of Akron (2011)
- Quantitative Business Analysis (Undergraduate Core Class), University of Akron (2011)
- Instructor, Business Information Systems - Database Applications, University of Southern California (2010)
- Guest Lecturer, Business Intelligence & Analytics, University of Southern California (2010, 2011)
- Created a Teaching Case, MBA, University of Southern California, (2010)
- Teaching Assistant, Strategic Management of Information, University of Southern California (2008-2009)
- Instructor, IT Professionals, Oracle (1999-2005)
- Data Architect Team Leader, KRX (2005-2006)
- Principal Consultant, Oracle. Seoul, Korea (1999-2005)
- Co-Founder, Raonic (2001-2003)
- Data Architect, LG Electronics (1996-1999)
- Professional Service
- Journal Review
- International Conference on Information Systems (2008-2011)
- MIS Quarterly (since 2008)
- European Journal of Information Systems (since 2008)
- Association for Information Systems (AIS)
- Korean Society for Management Information Systems
- Information Systems Strategy – Strategic Management of Information and Digital Technologies
- Business Intelligence (BI) and Analytics – BI/Data Warehousing Strategy and Implementation, Data Mining
- Enterprise Information Systems – Analysis, Design, and Implementation
- Research interests straddle IT, Strategy, and Entrepreneurship.
- IT-enabled Organizational Capabilities and Strategic Advantage
- Turbulent and Entrepreneurial Business Environments
- Holistic Set-Theoretic Configurational Approach and Hierarchical Multi-Level Modeling
Refereed Journal Articles
- YoungKi Park and Omar A. El Sawy, “The Value of Configurational Approaches for Studying Digital Business Strategy,” in Research in the Sociology of Organizations, Bart Cambré, Peer Fiss, and Axel Marx (Ed.), Vol. 38, pp. 205-224.
- El Sawy, O. A., Malhotra, A., Park, Y., & Pavlou, P. A. “Seeking the Configurations of Digital Ecodynamics: It Takes Three to Tango,” Information Systems Research (21:4), 2010, December, pp. 835-848.
- Lee, H., Park, Y., Jang, G, & Huh, S. “Designing a Distributed Database on a Local Area Network: A Methodology and Decision Support System,” Information and Software Technology (42), 2000, pp. 171-184.
- Park, Y., & El Sawy, O.A. “Discovering the Multifaceted Roles of Information Technologies with a Holistic Configurational Theory Approach,” Proceedings of the 45th Hawaii International Conference on System Sciences, Maui, Hawaii, January 2012.
- Park, Y., & El Sawy, O. A. “Towards a Design Theory for Hedonic Systems: Delivering Superior User Experience in the Digital Home Entertainment Context,” Proceedings of the 3rd International Conference on Design Science Research in Information Systems and Technology (DESRIST), Atlanta, Georgia, May 2008
- Lee, H., & Park, Y. “Developing a DSS for designing distributed databases on a local area network,” Proceedings of the 1st International Conference on Operations and Quantitative Management, Jaipur, India, January 1997.
- Hawaii International Conference on System Sciences (45th), “Discovering the Multifaceted Roles of Information Technologies with a Holistic Configurational Theory Approach,” Maui, Hawaii, January 2012.
- Workshop of Korean Association of Information Systems (Post-ICIS Workshop), “Developing Real-Time Enterprise Capability to Cope with Turbulent Environments: Empirical Understanding of the Role of IT Systems,” St. Louis, Missouri, December 2010.
- International Conference on Information Systems (ICIS) – Doctoral Consortium, “The Dynamics of Latency Reduction in Opportunities and Threats Management in Accelerating Entrepreneurial Environments: The Role of Information Technologies,” Tucson, Arizona, December 2009
- 3rd International Conference on Design Science Research in Information Systems and Technology (DESRIST), “Towards a Design Theory for Hedonic Systems: Delivering Superior User Experience in the Digital Home Entertainment Context,” Atlanta, Georgia, May 2008
- Southern California Workshop on Information Systems Research & Development (SC WISRD), “Information Systems for Building Real Time Enterprise Capability, Los Angeles, California, June 2008
- Workshop on Journal of Strategic Information Systems (Pre-ICIS Workshop), “Theorizing around the Boundaries of Strategy and Emerging Technologies: A “Levels of Mindfulness” Framework,” Montreal, Canada, December 2007
- Park, Y., El Sawy O.A., & Fiss, P. A. “Exploring the Holistic Nature of Digital Ecodynamics with a Configurational Theory Approach”.
- Park, Y. & El Sawy, O.A. “Understanding of the Dynamics of IT-enabled Agile Organizations”
- Park, Y., & El Sawy, O.A. “Managing the Negative Effect of R&D on the Financial Market Value of a Young IPO Firm in the Software Industry”
- Park, Y. “Enjoyment Matters for Knowledge Sharing and Performance: A Longitudinal Study
- Park, Y. & El Sawy, O.A. “Superior Hedonic User Experience in the Digital Home Entertainment Ecosystem”
- Park, Y. with El Sawy, O.A. “Reconceptualizing Environments for Hyperturbulence: The Twitch Model”
- Park, Y., with El Sawy, O.A., Clark, J., Johnson, J., Oh, J. “Theorizing around Mushiness and Ephemerality: The Case of Emerging Technologies and Business Strategy"
(Research Assistant for Sponsored Research Projects)
- Digital Home Entertainment - User Experience & IT Adoption Business Model, 2006-2008 (Institute for Communication Technology Management, University of Southern California). Sponsored by the Alfred P. Sloan Foundation and five companies: Cisco, Seagate, SUN, SK Telecom (Korea) and TELUS (Canada) (2006-2008).
- Korea Development Bank – Diagnosis and Suggestion of an Enhancement Plan for IT Systems, 1995 (KAIST).
- Award for Excellence in Teaching, University of Southern California (2010)
- Best Paper Runner-Up, Korea MIS Association (2010)
- International Conference on Information Systems (ICIS) Doctoral Consortium Fellow (2009)
- Graduate Assistantship, Marshall School of Business, University of Southern California (2006-2011)
- Honors on Graduation (top 5%), HanYang University (1994)
- Oracle Valuable Employee Award with Stock Option Prize (2002)
- LG Electronics Best Performer Award with Promotion (1997)