Leadership Development, Training and Coaching
- Industry Economic and workforce development representative.
- Associate Professor in the Engineering and Technology Department at Indiana University Purdue University Indianapolis (IUPUI).
- Consult with national multi-family, property management, homebuilding, investment and capital management firms on organizational and people challenges.
- Industry speaker and trainer at regional and national conventions.
Brycin Communities LLC, Indianapolis, Indiana,1999 – 2007, Managing Partner
Multi-family development and property management within senior housing communities. Senior operating executive with full strategic planning and P&L management responsibility for this land development, multi-family property management company. Maintain complete autonomous decision-making authority within the areas of leasing, sales, marketing, construction, finance, human resources, technology, information technology, and administrative affairs.
- Hired and trained executive directors for each community within region.
- Designed multi-family product that was adopted by national healthcare company.
- Expanded business model and operations to other cities of central Indiana.
- Improved overall productivity 8% and created lowest cost operating platform within the industry by utilizing select vendor partners and promoting a learning organization.
- Delivered unprecedented results by closing first units in 85 days with 23% Gross Profit and 10% Net Profit.
Crescent Homes LLC, Indianapolis, Indiana,1996 – 1999, Managing Partner, Board Member
Entry-level production Homebuilding Company. Developed people and organization from inception through start-up.
- Developed a culture consistent with high performance organization standards.
- Designed single family detached and attached products. Multi-family product was region’s first to combine slab, tri-level and two-story plans.
- Created product specifications and costing system by phase for entire product offering.
- Sold 57 homes, closed 37 homes in first 12 months. First customer closed within 5 months of company inception.
- Established standardized project management methodologies to insure exceptional and consistent standards of delivery to customers.
Melody Homes, Whiteland, Indiana,1994 – 1996, President, Member Board of Directors
Entry-level production Homebuilding Company building 650 units annually.
- Doubled profits from 1994 to 1995 and reduced operating expenses by 22%.
- Overcame previous management’s failures and identified and eliminated unproductive areas in administration, sales, and production.
- Provided leadership and calming influence for employees, vendor partners, municipalities and customers as the organization worked through cash flow challenges.
- Encouraged and coached entrepreneurial owner and his wife to “let go” of operations and focus on strategic thinking and planning for their company.
- Forged alliances and deepened relationships among homebuilding operations, component plant and mortgage company divisions.
Weyerhauser, Seattle, Washington, 1993 – 1994, Vice President of Homebuilding
Hired by the president of Weyerhaeuser Real Estate Company (WRECO), parent of Quadrant Corporation, a 40-year old commercial and residential developer/builder in the Pacific Northwest. My purpose was to bring the homebuilding operation up to the level of the other WRECO Homebuilding companies within the United States.
- Launched an aggressive re-engineering of existing operations and guided Quadrant to a position of leading financial performance among all WRECO homebuilding divisions and first among comparable peer groups as measured in terms of sales growth, operating income, ROI, cash flow, and internal growth.
- Brought vision, sense of urgency, and viability to this 40-year old sleeping giant. Today the company is the market share leader in the Puget Sound Region building more than 900 homes annually.
- Upgraded present and future organizational capability by recruiting and developing talented managers to fill key leadership positions within the operations functions.
- Created environment and culture that is participative and team-oriented allowing double the productivity. Monthly team “action” meetings facilitated effective change and strengthened relationships.
- Successfully developed and built first multi-family community contributing to a 45% ROI.
- Reorganized operations management and initiated a results-focused team effort that drove a 100% productivity and profit gain within the first year.
- Reestablished strained relationships within the Weyerhaeuser Real Estate Companies by earning their respect and trust.