Odell Coleman Jr., MBA
• Case Western Reserve University, Cleveland, Ohio – MBA, 2003
• Case Western Reserve University, Cleveland, Ohio – MNO, 1999
• Kent State University, Kent, Ohio - B.S. in Sports Management, 1997
A highly-analytical, entrepreneurial MBA market research professional with experience in the following areas:
- Primary/Secondary Research
- Competitive Intelligence
New Product Development
- Project Management
Professional & Academic Experience:
Owner – April 2004 to Present ColemanWick, LLC, Cleveland Ohio
- Owned and built market research firm, which offered primary and secondary market research and market analytics to professional services firms, entrepreneurs, non-profit and governmental entities as well as B2B markets; 75% of business derived from referrals.
Market analytics research was used new consumer product, resulting in annual growth from 28% to 36%.
- Developed and executed brand awareness and penetration surveys for a higher education institution, which resulted in enrollment increase of 22 %.
- Conducted competitive intelligence for professional services firm, identifying competitor assets, strategic focus and growth strategy. One such example led to new product development and the elimination of product line.
- Implemented on-line focus groups, saving clients over 49% relative to traditional focus groups
Managed and directed business development activities as well as fulfillment services for 250 clients.
- Surveyed and interviewed industry leaders to aide in the launch of new loyalty service program, which resulted in 37% increase in sales from existing customers.
Interviewed, hired, and worked with outside agencies to broaden market research service offerings
- Identified and quantified new B2B market segment, resulting in new sales of 57% over two years; also provided research to marketing and communications team to aid in messaging plan.
Director of Research – April 2007 to April 2008
- October Research Corporation, Richfield, OH
- Led division to first profitable year in company history, a 31% increase.
- Developed and conducted customer satisfaction surveys for top lenders in real estate industry, resulting in sales growth of 48%.
- Produced and marketed public industry-wide research findings to the settlement services sector (research has been cited by The Wall Street Journal and USA Today).
- Developed methodologies for competitive pricing studies and to clients with marketing plan development and strategic planning; managed competitive intelligence efforts.
- Served as primary contact to outside agencies and marketing contractors. Negotiated lower rates, resulting in 18% savings to the firm.
- Conducted market segmentation and sales messaging for title companies, vendor management entities and industry associations.
- Presented findings to key industry analysts and reporters.
- Worked with external contractors to shape product positioning; resulting in the development and launch of two ancillary products, resulting in $24K in new money to the firm.
- Responsible for profit and loss for $400K division.
- Developed proposal for business development purposes; with proposal success rate of 83%
Marketing Research Analyst – April 2006 to April 2007 – Recruited to October Research
- Kent State University, Kent, OH
- Quantified industry analysis for course offerings and programmatic development; research lead to new associate and bachelor degree programs and accounted for 21% in new enrollments within the department.
- Monitored competitor activity and made recommendations to senior management based on market intelligence; recommendations resulted in new nursing program and on-line learning portal
- Served as primary contact to outside agencies and marketing contractors.
- Conducted pricing analysis and segmentation studies to determine high-growth markets; research resulted in new wind turbine maintenance offering, resulting in 89 new students.
The Cleveland Clinic Foundation
- Director of Corporate and Foundation Relations – February 2003 to October 2003
- Identified new accounts, developed proposals, and managed relationships, including those for Fortune 500 companies and OEM suppliers.
- Directed business development initiatives including the establishment of strategic partnerships with nonprofit organizations and corporate sponsors.
- Exceeded business development goal by 45%, which resulted in $2.8 million in new accounts.
Director of Regional Development and Special Gifts – January 2000 to February 2003
- Created an online giving portal that was used by 40% of the beta client’s constituents, increasing the average online donation size by 47%.
- Orchestrated copywriting, design and print publication of a 20,000-piece direct mail initiative, which resulted in a response rate of 18%.
- Utilized market research to identify a market position for the School’s annual fundraising effort, resulting in a 15% increase in dollars raised and a 22% increase in new donors.
Odell Coleman Jr. is the Principal of ColemanWick, LLC. Prior to founding the firm in 2004, Odell was fortunate to be able to work and learn across a wide array of capacities within the research field, in both the profit and non-profit sectors. He spent five years working in university outreach and marketing at Case Western Reserve University and The Cleveland Clinic, where he conducted research to support organizational initiatives and business development activities. At the Cleveland Foundation, Odell conducted market research and business planning in the field of wind energy. As a Director of Research at October Research Corporation, Odell managed a staff that provided industry-wide market research to national banks, mortgage brokers, and lending institutions. At Kent State University, he worked with senior management to identify and quantify emerging markets for programmatic and curriculum development.
In addition to his work at ColemanWick, Odell is an adjunct market research professor at Notre Dame College. He also sits on the Alumni Board of The Weatherhead School of Management at Case Western Reserve University, as well as the Board of Trustees at MHS. Inc. He serves on the Marketing Committee at DANCECleveland, and as an At-Large Delegate on NOCA’s Board of Delegates, and is a volunteer judge in a business plan competition sponsored by E-City.
Odell holds a B.S. from Kent State University, a Masters in Business Administration from the Weatherhead School of Management at Case Western Reserve University, and a Masters in Non-Profit Organizations from the Mandel Center for Nonprofit Management at Case Western Reserve University.