Robert Figler, Ph.D.
- West Virginia University, M.A., Ph.D., May 1984
College of Business and Economics (AACSB)
- Degree Major: Industrial Relations
- Minor Fields:
- Industrial/Organizational Psychology (Human Resource Management)
- Public Administration (Management & Policy)
- Labor Economics
- Supporting Field: Microeconomic/Macroeconomic Theory (Passed 6 hour qualifying examination)
- Dissertation Title: Workflow Interruptions and Human Resource Management in Underground Coal Mining: An exploratory Study
- Pennsylvania State University, 1976-78,
Advanced Graduate Study in Agricultural Economics and Rural Sociology: agricultural marketing (consumer food consumption (eggs) and expenditure analysis)
- Indiana University of Pennsylvania, B.A., 1976
Major in economics with a minor in biology
Professional & Academic Experience:
- UNIVERSITY OF AKRON, DEPARTMENT OF MANAGEMENT
September, 1985 to present
Position: Tenured Associate Professor, Graduate Faculty Primary teaching activities have included industrial relations, organizational theory, compensation management and employee benefits, human resource management, productivity and the quality of work life issues, and management and production concepts. Proposed and implemented the human resource option which included creating the strategic human resource management course in the M.S. in management program (met AACSB approval). Currently coordinator of the human resource management option. Participated in successful AACSB reaccreditation during this time.
- EASTERN KENTUCKY UNIVERSITY, DEPARTMENT OF MARKETING AND MANAGEMENT
September, 1983 to May, 1985
Position: Assistant Professor of Business Administration
Taught the following undergraduate courses: personnel administration, compensation management, collective bargaining, human relations development, and taught all section of production/operations management. Successfully completed dissertation research and defense while carrying a four course, three preparations teaching load. Extensively involved in the College of Business Administration's degree program in coal mine administration.
- WEST VIRGINIA UNIVERSITY, DEPARTMENT OF APPLIED RESEARCH, EVALUATION, AND PLANNING
September, 1980 to August, 1983
Position: Research Associate (graduate)
Extensively involved in the following state evaluation and private company research activities: training and development of frontline supervision, productivity analysis in underground coal mining, design and analysis of survey/evaluation data, safety program evaluation in the lumber industry, residential energy use project, unemployment and manpower programs; and strategic planning process of the university; The research, analysis, and final report writing was done under the direction and supervision of Dr. Frederick A. Zeller and Dr. Robert W. Miller.
Other Professional Activities
- Reviewed a number of texts and text proposals for several major publishers in the areas of organizational behavior, labor relations, and employee benefits.
- Human Resource Management
- Labor Relations & Compensation Management
- International Business/Management & Strategic Management
- International Management
- Management Development
- Human Resource Management
- China and Strategic Management
- Figler, Robert A. and Hanlon, Susan C., "Management Development and the Unconscious from an Analytical Psychology Framework," Journal of Management Development, (accepted for publication in Volume 27, 2008).
- Figler, Robert A. and Ash, Steven R., “Derived Demand and Human Resource Management: An Important Linkage in Organizational Strategy,” European Journal of Social Science, Vol. 5, No. 3, 2007, pp. 88-95.
- Hanlon, Susan C., and Figler, Robert A., "An Unlikely Topic in an Unlikely Setting: Poetry in the MBA Class," Journal of The Academy of Business Education, Vol. 3, Spring 2002, pp.67-74.
- Finkle, Todd A., Figler, Robert A., and Dunning Kenneth A. (2001), "West Point Market: Managing a Challenge from the EEOC," Entrepreneurship Theory and Practice, Vol. 25, No. 3, Spring 2001, pp. 71-88.
Finkle, Todd A., Figler, Robert A., and Dunning, Kenneth A. (2001). "Teaching Note for West Point Market: Managing a Challenge from the EEOC," (12 pages).
- "Basic Chinese Sword Training and Practice," Yang Tony, Figler, Robert A., and Lianto, Andy, Journal of Asian Martial Arts, Vol. 13, No. 3, 2004.
- "Fajing: Issuing Power as Practiced in Bajiquan and Northern Chinese Martial Systems, Yang, Tony, Lianto, Andy, and Figler, Robert A., Journal of Asian Martial Arts, Vol 12, no. 1, 2003, pp.66-79.
- "Bajiquan and Pigua Zhang: Part II: Foundational Training Methods," Figler, Robert A., and Yang, Xiao-dong, Journal of Asian Martial Arts, volume 9, No. 1, 2000.
- "Bajiquan and Pigua Zhang: Part I: Foundational Training Methods," Figler, Robert A., Yang, and Xiao-dong, Journal of Asian Martial Arts, volume 8, No. 4, 1999.
- Information Not Available