Leadership Experience Project
The “Leadership Experience Project” is a project of passion and/or interest of a student’s choice. The vision of this program is to help students apply their knowledge and skills while solving real problems in real areas of need. Projects will include a project proposal, focus on research, and typically conclude with a formal presentation and plan for action.
$2000 to Make It Happen
To accomplish this, CBA students with a 3.0 GPA or above, and any UA Honors student, are eligible to receive a $2,000 “Leadership Advancement Award.” This full amount can be applied towards the “Leadership Experience Project.” The purpose of this funding is to allow students to take a risk, diversify their academic experience, and receive opportunities that help them stand apart from other college graduates.
Students may complete the Leadership Experience Project (LEP) individually or with a group of students with a shared purpose. Students who complete project as a group may pool their funding (e.g. Five students would work with $10,000 to complete their project). Each student and/or group will receive a faculty or CBA Advisory Board member as their LEP Advisor.
Click here to see LEP Award budget proposal guidelines
To receive this award, students must commit to completing the Leadership Advancement Certificate Program.
Examples of Leadership Experience Projects, include (but are certainly not limited to):
- Create Your Own! Identify your own problem and we will help you turn it into a scope statement
- Access women's Shelter
- Water Filter Project in Ghana (Africa), May 2013
- Kaboom! City of Akron playground project
- Improving Literacy in Summit County
- Recycling and Waste Management Improvement Project, City of Akron
- Student initiated ethics conference
- Many others!
Each student or team of students will be guided by a project mentor of his or her choice. This is a paid position that may be a CBA Advisory Board member, Executive Mentor, UA Faculty mentor, or another experienced professional. Click here to see the requirements.
How to Begin your Leadership Experience Project
- Contact, Dr. Susan Hanlon, Assistant Dean, at email@example.com to set up an appointment to discuss your ideas/possibilities
- CBA students with a 3.0 GPA or above should enroll in 6100:499 for 3 credit hours
- Permission form for enrollment is available in the Undergraduate Advising office on the second floor of the CBA building. Permission granted by the Director of the Institute for Leadership Advancement
- Honors Students should enroll in 6100:497
For more information about the “Leadership Experience Projects”, e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org