At The University of Akron (UA), like at many universities, you apply for admission to the University in general, and you must also meet certain criteria to be admitted to your major. Your high school academic performance will determine if you are admitted directly to the College of Business Administration (CBA) or if you are admitted as a pre-business major.
You are directly admitted to the CBA when you apply for admission to The University of Akron if you:
- Select one of the majors in the CBA on your application, and
- Have a 3.0 overall GPA from high school
- Earn an overall ACT score of 22 or higher (1030 SAT equivalent) (those with a 21 ACT and a 3.0 overall high school GPA are considered on an individual basis), and
- Ranked in the top 50 percent of your high school class (if your high school provides class rankings)
If you are admitted into the Honors College at UA, you also will be admitted to the College of Business if you select one of the majors in the CBA on your application.
If you attend UA directly from high school and do not meet the requirements above, you will be admitted to The University of Akron as a pre-business major. To gain admission into the CBA, students must satisfy the criteria listed below. The courses listed are required for all CBA students, regardless of their admission status.
CBA requirements for pre-business majors:
- English Composition I and II (3300:111 and 3300:112)
- Speech (7600:105 or 7600:106)
- College Algebra (3450:145) or Calculus with Business Applications (3450:210)
- Principles of Microeconomics (3250:200) or Principles of Macroeconomics (3250:201)
- Accounting Principles I (6200:201) OR
- Spreadsheet Modeling & Decision Analysis (6200:250) OR
- Introduction to Entrepreneurship (6300:201) OR
- Legal & Social Environment of Business (6400:220) OR
- Marketing Principles (6600:205)
With careful attention to course selection, students are able to fulfill these requirements and enroll in the business major of their choice at the completion of their first year. Pre-business majors are included in CBA events and are encouraged to join a CBA student organization during their first year.
Learn about the steps involved in applying for admission.