Showing Proficiency through Waiver Examinations
Waiver examinations are available so students admitted to the MBA program can prove proficiency in certain areas. Waiver examinations are offered for all Gateway or Foundation courses. Some exams are available for foundation courses in the Master of Science in Accountancy, Master of Science in Management, and Master of Tax programs.
A score of 70% is required to pass the test. Students who take a waiver exam and achieve a score of less than 50% will be required to take the course and will not be eligible to retake the waiver exam for that course.
The following fact sheets provide information on the MBA and MSM waiver exams (a few courses may also apply to the MSA and MTax programs). Textbooks covering comparable material may be useful.
- 3250:600 Foundations of Economic Analysis
- 6200:601 Financial Accounting
- 6400:602 Managerial Finance. Please note: Students taking the 6400:602 Managerial Finance exam will need a financial calculator for the exam.
- 6400:655 Government & Business
Waiver exams are offered at various times throughout the year. To take a waiver exam, you must meet certain requirements and follow all waiver exam procedures:
- Only those students admitted to a CBA graduate program can take waiver exams. Students who intend to apply for the program, who are in non-degree programs, or who are only in graduate certificate programs are not eligible.
- Registration. Register to take the exam at least two weeks prior to the date of the exam. Registration - waiver exams are available several times throughout the year, with two or three test sessions offered each time. Register by calling the Graduate Programs in Business Office at 330-972-7043, or by visiting the office in CBA 412. You must register for the specific exam you plan to take it at a specific time on a specific date.
- Fee. A $100.00 fee (per exam) is required for your registration to be official. The fee is due one week before the date of the exam. Payment may be made by check or money order only and should be made out to The University of Akron.
Please write "waiver exam fee" on the bottom corner of the check or money order and make sure your complete, current address is also listed on your form of payment. The $100.00 fee is an administrative processing fee that will be incurred whether you take the exam or not. Therefore, if you fail to take the exam on the scheduled date, you will be charged another $100.00 fee to take the exam at another time.
2015 Waiver Exam Schedule
Monday, May 11, 2015, 5:30pm - 7:30pm, in CBA 412
Monday, August 3, 2015, 5:30pm - 7:30pm, in CBA 412
Tuesday, August 4, 2015, 2pm - 4pm, in CBA 412
Monday, November 9, 2015, 5:30pm - 7:30pm, in CBA 412
Tuesday, November 10, 2015, 2pm - 4pm, in CBA 412
Waiver Exam Guidelines
- Students must be in good academic standing to sit for waiver exams.
- Students must report to the testing location at least 20 minutes prior to the scheduled test time.
- Multiple waiver exams may be taken in one exam session. However, the exams are like comprehensive final exams and tend to be a few hours long.
- Waiver exams may be repeated once.
Passing a waiver exam in a particular field is deemed to be equivalent to certain courses for prerequisite purposes. For example, if a student needs 6200:601Financial Accounting as a prerequisite for a subsequent class and has successfully passed the Financial Accounting waiver exam, the student can register for the subsequent class. If the student has not taken 6200:601 or passed the waiver exam, the student will not be permitted to register for the subsequent class. This makes it imperative that students take waiver exams early in their program of study to be able to maintain a full schedule of classes.