School of Accountancy Volunteer Income Tax Assistance (VITA) Program10/14/2010
School of Accountancy Volunteer Income Tax Assistance (VITA) Program
The George W. Daverio School of Accountancy will be offering a VITA Program for members of the greater Akron community who would like assistance preparing their own tax returns. The program is free to all members of the public who (a) earn $49,000 or less, and (b) are eligible for the earned income tax credit or are full-time students. Persons who do not satisfy all eligibility requirements cannot be helped through this program. This program complements other similar programs that are offered on campus.
According to the IRS, “the Earned Income Tax Credit (EITC) is a tax credit for certain people who work and don't earn high incomes. A tax credit usually means more money in your pocket; the EITC can reduce the amount of tax you owe and you may also get a refund. ”Most families with children and earn less than $48,279 may qualify for EITC. Thresholds for couples without children and for single individuals are lower.
The program coordinator is Kristina Melomed, an IRScertified Site Coordinator, Volunteer, MTax student, and Graduate Assistant in the School of Accountancy. A team of IRS-certified volunteers will assist Ms. Melomed. Volunteers include MS Accounting, MTax, and BS Accounting students in the George W. Daverio School of Accountancy. A Faculty Advisory Council, comprising of Jerry Apple, Al Lieberman, and Dr. Janet Mosebach, will provide feedback and advice for the effective operation of the VITA program.
The location of the VITA program is the College of Business Administration Building, Room 106.
Dates of Service
VITA services will be offered from 9:00 a.m. to 3:00 p.m. on Saturdays, starting February 5, 2011, and ending April 16, 2011. There will be no services on March 12th, March 19th or March 26th, due to Spring Break.
VITA services are available by appointment and to walk-ins. To make an appointment, visit the College of Business’ web site at http://www.uakron.edu/cba/vita. Priority will be given to persons with appointments.
In order to assure effective service, the last appointment for all dates will be taken at 2 p.m.
Please bring the following items to the VITA site to have your tax returns prepared:
- Proof of identification (Picture ID)
- Social Security Cards for you, your spouse and dependents and/or a Social Security Number verification letter issued by the Social Security Administration
- Birth dates for you, your spouse and dependents on the tax return
- Current year’s tax package if you received one
- Wage and earning statement(s) from all employers (Form W-2, W-2G, 1099-R)
- Interest and dividend statements from banks (Forms 1099)
- A copy of last year’s Federal, State, and Local returns, if available
- Bank Routing Numbers and Account Numbers for Direct Deposit
- Total paid for day care provider and the day care provider's tax identifying number (the provider's Social Security Number or the provider's business Employer Identification Number)
- To file taxes electronically for a married filing jointly tax return, both spouses must be present to sign the required forms.
- If you do not have a Social Security Number, an ITIN. If you do not have an ITIN, please bring your SSA denial letter (if applicable) and a current form of photo identification.
Please call 330 972-7586 for further information. Appointments cannot be made over the phone.