The Dr. George E. Prough Scholarship
The Dr. George E. Prough Endowed Scholarship was established in 2009 (and revised in 2016) by former students, faculty, and friends of George E. Prough to show their appreciation and gratitude for his longstanding service to The University of Akron and the College of Business Administration. Prough retired in 2004 from the Department of Marketing, where he had been a faculty member since 1968. He was always a favorite with students and often referred to as "GQ George" for his impeccable style and smooth delivery.
Along with teaching and research, Prough served The University of Akron in various capacities during his tenure. He was the associate dean of external affairs and community service for the College of Business Administration, and in 1998, then-UA President Luis M. Proenza asked Prough to lead The University of Akron's strategic planning efforts. These activities, which concluded in 2002, involved more than 300 administrators, faculty, staff, and students in a process aimed at producing a strategic vision and plan, changing the planning and budgeting process, and developing a continuous quality improvement program. Additionally, Prough served the campus as a master of ceremonies, and he frequently could be heard at the Dr. Frank L. Simonetti Distinguished Business Alumni Award Sunrise Breakfast, the University's Alumni Day program, numerous meetings of the Northeastern Ohio Alumni Association of Phi Delta Theta, and various Department of Marketing activities, including the annual awards program.
Over the course of his career, Prough also worked as a consultant; strategic planner; and a marketing and sales training leader for companies such as The Goodyear Tire & Rubber Company, FirstEnergy Corp., Columbia Gas of Ohio, Buckingham Doolittle & Burroughs LLP, the Summit County Chapter of the American National Red Cross, and many others.
Prough was the frequent recipient of accolades recognizing his excellence. In 1992, he was awarded a Distinguished Marketer Award by the Akron Chapter of Sales and Marketing Executives International and, along with colleague Mike D'Amico, was one of 16 professors in Ohio identified as "Star Professors" in the April 1992 issue of Ohio Magazine. In 1996, the Northeastern Ohio Alumni Chapter of Phi Delta Theta selected Prough as the recipient of the W. Richard Wright Award. In 1997, he was chosen by The University of Akron Alumni Association to receive UA's Outstanding Teacher Award, and in 2006 he was the recipient of the Dean's Award from the College of Business Administration.
Prough passed away September 15, 2012. He and his wife, Patty, who were married for 42 years, have two married sons and four grandchildren.
Recipients of The Dr. George E. Prough Endowed Scholarship will receive a $1,000 scholarship and will be selected by the College of Business Administration Scholarship Committee in collaboration with Patricia J. "Patty" Prough and/or an appointed designee. The value of the scholarship and the number of recipients may vary depending on available funds.Required Qualifications
- Junior or Senior level enrolled in the College of Business Administration
- Currently pursuing a degree in marketing.
- Demonstrated leadership abilities through involvement in various campus organizations and/or career related activities.
- Submit an essay (300 words or less) that describes why they are deserving of the scholarship
- Submit two letters of recommendation (one from a UA faculty or staff member and one from outside UA that validates their character)
- 3.25 or greater GPA
- Complete the online application below
- Applicant must submit an essay of 300 words or less describing why they feel they are deserving of the scholarship.
- Applicant must submit two letters of recommendation; one from a teacher and one from an individual not connected with the University, but acquainted with the applicant either through employment or activity.
Submission Deadline: 5:00 P.M., March 1, 2017.
Complete the Application Form.