The Dr. George E. Prough Scholarship
The Dr. George E. Prough Scholarship Fund was established in 2009 by former students, faculty and friends to show their appreciation and gratitude for Dr. Prough’s long and outstanding service to The University of Akron and the CBA. Dr. Prough retired in 2004 from the Department of Marketing, where he had been a faculty member since 1968. Over the course of his career, he was always a favorite with students and was often referred to as “GQ George” for his impeccable style and smooth delivery. In addition to teaching and research, Dr. Prough was involved in consulting and strategic planning, and led marketing and sales training for such companies as The Goodyear Tire & Rubber Company, FirstEnergy Corp., and many others. He frequently served the campus as master of ceremonies at various events including the Dr. Frank L. Simonetti Distinguished Business Alumni Award Presidential Sunrise Breakfast. Over the years, Dr. Prough received numerous honors including Distinguished Marketer Award, Outstanding Teacher Award, CBA Dean’s Award and Dr. Frank L. Simonetti Award. Dr. Prough died on Sept. 15, 2012, after a lengthy illness. One $1,000 scholarship will be awarded for the academic year.Required Qualifications
- Junior or senior standing
- Currently pursuing a degree in marketing
- Cumulative GPA of 3.25 or better
- Strong leadership abilities as demonstrated through involvement in various campus organizations and/or career related activities
- Complete the online application below
- Attach resume and cover letter (use the cover letter to specify the scholarship you are applying for and how you meet the minimum requirements)
- Attach a 300 word essay explaining why you feel you are deserving of this scholarship
- Submit two letters of recommendation; one from a faculty member and one from an individual not connected with the University, but acquainted with you either through employment or other activity.
Application Deadline: 5:00 P.M., April 15.
For more information, please email email@example.com. If you have questions about how a scholarship may impact your financial aid, please contact the Office of Student Financial Aid.
Complete the Application Form.