What is Student Toastmasters Club:
Joining the Student Toastmasters Club at the University of Akron is the best way to improve your communication skills. We strive to provide a comfortable and encouraging environment for students to improve their public speaking skills. Toastmasters can help you lose the fear of public speaking and learn presentation skills that will help you become more successful in your life. Improved communication skills acquired through participation in the Student Toastmasters Club will increase your chances for increased visibility and recognition. As a campus-wide organization, we welcome ALL university members to come and participate in the group.
Why join Student Toastmasters:
Your success in life depends on how effective you are with your communication skills. By participating in weekly meetings at the Student Toastmasters Club at the University of Akron, you will learn to speak effectively, conduct a meeting, work more effectively with fellow group members, and motivate others.
How Student Toastmasters works:
At Student Toastmasters Club at the University of Akron, members learn by speaking to groups and working with others in a supportive environment.
We meet once a week from 4:00 - 5:00pm in CBA 145. Each meeting gives everyone an opportunity to practice:
- Presenting prepared speeches.
- Giving impromptu speeches for one-to-two minutes on assigned topics.
- Offering constructive criticism to other members for improvement.
- Participate in speech contests.
Benefits of joining Student Toastmasters:
The Toastmasters Club at the University of Akron provides the tools that enable its members to become effective communicators and leaders at every aspect of life. Toastmasters training helps in:
- giving better presentations (see 10 Tips for Successful Public Speaking)
- present ideas in an effective manner
- offer constructive criticism
- work better in groups with fellow employees
Joining is simple. Any student of the University who is good standing both academically and financially is eligible. To join, simply join the group on OrgSync and then start coming to meetings! Ready to give it a try? Go to Become a Member page and find out how!
- President: Jonathan Biscardi
- Vice President:Erik Wells
- VP-Marketing:Amanda Wingerter
- Treasurer:Ross Davis
- Secretary:Meghan O'Neil