Marketing Management Bachelor of Business Administration (B.B.A.) Degree
The Marketing Management major at the College of Business Administration (CBA) helps students develop skills so they can create committed customers through product development, branding, customer service, distribution, pricing, and promotion. The curriculum addresses topics like buyer behavior, marketing research, marketing and sales analytics, brand management, and more, as well as a special emphasis on sound decision-making based on customer, competitor and market information.
A key element of our program is the “Professional Experience” which is designed to ease your transition from academics to industry. All marketing management majors will participate in the Marketing Capstone course which will allow you to consult with a major firm in the region. You will also choose between a marketing internship or three 1 credit courses in our new Professional Workshop program. These workshops, taught by area executives, will deal with cutting edge marketing issues.
Marketing Management Major Academic Coursework
Undergraduate degrees at The University of Akron require a student to complete 128 credits. Please note that some number of electives might be needed in addition to required courses to equal 128 credits. The following are the credits required for Marketing Management majors:
- General education requirements (minimum of 42 credits)
- CBA core and additional business requirements (42 credits)
- Marketing Management major coursework (30 credits) includes the following:
Marketing Foundation Courses (12 credits)
- 6600:275 Professional Selling (3 credits)
- 6600:335 Marketing Research (3 credits)
- 6600:355 Buyer Behavior (3 credits)
- 6600:375 Marketing & Sales Analytics (3 credits)
Marketing Management Core Competency Courses (12 credits)
- 6600:436 E-Commerce (3 credits)
- 6600:432 Integrated Marketing Communications 3
- 6600:440 Brand Management (3 credits)
- 6600:460 B2B Marketing (3 credits)
Professional Experience(6 credits)
- 6100:495 Internship in Marketing or Sales (3 credits) or
- 6600:491 Professional Workshops in Marketing (3 credits) and
- 6600:499 Marketing Capstone Project (3 credits)
The Marketing Management Major offers professional experiences designed to help your transition into industry. Professional Experience is a key element of our major and is designed to ease your transition from academics to industry. All Marketing Management majors participate in the Marketing Capstone course, which will allow you to consult with a business in the region. You also choose between a marketing internship or three 1-credit courses in our Professional Workshop program. These workshops, taught by area executives, will address real world marketing issues.
University general education requirements are offered each semester, including over the summer. CBA core classes also are available each semester, including summer. Please note that the number of sections available is often less during the summer semester.
Courses for your major are offered both fall and spring, although every course is not offered every semester.
Learn more about CBA marketing students, marketing careers, organizations that have recently hired CBA graduates, and much more on the Marketing Department page
In addition to completing all required courses for their major a student must also maintain certain cumulative GPAs to graduate:
- 2.3 overall GPA in all courses
- 2.0 GPA in major courses
- 2.0 GPA in business and economics courses
- Spring Graduation – Apply by December 1
- Summer Graduation – Apply by April 1
- Fall Graduation – Apply by July 1
Resources are available to help you learn more about the school and major, determine class schedules, requirements, and progress toward you degree.
Before you apply to The University of Akron, contact our Undergraduate Recruiter to answer your questions. Current UA students who want to be admitted to a major should be sure to visit an undergraduate Academic Adviser.
Graduation Planning Summary (GPS). The GPS is a document that lists course titles and additional, supplemental information for you as a Marketing Management student. When you are admitted to the CBA, you will review the GPS with your adviser, and use it in conjunction with the Degree Auditing Report System (DARS) (see below). Download your Marketing Management GPS.
Once you are admitted to The University of Akron, you’ll use the Degree Auditing Report System (DARS), which is an online tool you can use to view data regarding course requirements. DARS outlines your degree requirements, marks completed courses, and shows your remaining coursework.
Once you are a student, The University of Akron and the College of Business offer tutoring services for additional help in many subjects.
- The University of Akron offers free online tutorials for students to learn to use a variety of software programs, like Microsoft Excel, Word, PowerPoint, Project, Google Docs, and Springboard through Atomic Learning.
- The CBA offers tutoring on business topics.
- The main campus library has writing and math Tutoring Services.
Students are encouraged to participate in at least one of our many active, student-run organizations. Participating in an organization will enrich your college experience by providing opportunities to apply knowledge and skills gained in the classroom, and by opening doors to new friendships, networking, professional growth, and jobs. Our student organizations regularly excel in regional and national competitions. CBA marketing student organizations include:
You also can get involved in other CBA student organizations:General
- Beta Gamma Sigma
- Delta Sigma Pi
- Graduate Business Student Association (GBSA)
- International Business Association (IBA)
- Student Toastmasters
- Accounting Association
- Beta Alpha Psi (BAP)
- Institute for Management Accountants (IMA)
- Information Systems Audit & Control Association