Training Your Ohio Workforce Through the Ohio Incumbent Worker Training Voucher Program
About the Program
A new program is about to become available, and you have the opportunity to participate. The Ohio Department of Development has created a grant program that allows eligible companies to get funding for their training needs. The program is currently not open at this time, but we wanted to offer you the opportunity to be prepared for it when it is available. Funding is limited and is on a first come first serve basis. Fill out our free consultation form and a program coordinator will contact you and walk you through the process of getting the funding you need.
Employers are encouraged to start gathering information now if they wish to apply for the funds once the applications are released.
Currently the ODOD expects $30 million available statewide in FY 2013 (July 1, 2012-June 30, 2013) and $20 million for FY 2014 (July 1, 2013-June 30, 2014). A single employer may receive up to $500,000 (based on the federal tax ID - therefore companies that have an association with another may each apply for the grant provided they have separate tax ID's - if they have the same tax ID, then the first company to apply would get the funds).
The ODOD will cover 50% of the training costs, not-to-exceed $4,000 per trainee. The training must begin within 180 days of the application submission and be completed by June 30, 2013 (if applying in SFY 2014, training would need to be completed by June 30, 2014).
There will be a link on the Ohio Means Jobs web site (https://ohiomeansjobs.com/omj/) that will direct firms to the ODOD application forms.
Companies will be responsible for paying for the training up-front and then be reimbursed by the state for the agreed upon amount. The company will need to submit their invoice with documentation that training was completed and paid for. There is also a close-out form with questions regarding the outcome of the training - similar to the application questions.
An eligible employer must operate as a for-profit entity in a state-designated targeted industry with a facility located in Ohio that has been in continuous operation for the 12 months immediately prior to the application submittal.
Targeted industries are:
- Advanced Manufacturing
- Aerospace and Aviation
- Corporate Headquarters
- Financial Services
- Food Processing
- Information Technology and Services
- Polymers and Chemicals
An eligible employee is someone who is directly employed by the company at a facility located within Ohio and meets all of the following requirements:
- Employed in any of the following business functions: production, back office operations, information technology, logistics, or research and development
- Earning an hourly wage of at least 150 percent of the federal minimum wage ($10.88 as of January 1, 2012) plus benefits
- An Ohio resident
- At least 18 years of age
- Working at least 25 hours per week
Note: Retail/service function employee is not eligible for the voucher program.
- Training that is already being reimbursed by another State or Federal training program (e.g. Ohio Workforce Guarantee, National Emergency Grant, etc.)
- Continuing Education Units (CEUs) required for continued professional certification
- Soft Skills (e.g. diversity, ethics, HR law, management and leadership, sexual harassment, etc.)
- Training which is reimbursed/required by other public agencies or departments (e.g. OSHA, Worker’s Compensation)
- General Equivalency Diploma (GED)
- Profit-oriented courses (e.g. sales, marketing research, and Dale Carnegie trainings)
- Conference fees
- Wages of trainees while being trained
- Travel costs
- Company Information: Company Legal Name, Address, FTI#, NAICS Code, Industry Type, Description of Business, Date of Establishment in Ohio, Number of Employees in Ohio, and Company contact information
- Employee/Trainee Information: Employee Name, Job Title, SSN (will be encrypted via our IT office), Date of Birth, Work Address, Ohio Resident Requirement (Yes/No), Hire Date, Work Function (Back Office, IT, Logistics, Production, Research & Development), Job Description, and Hourly Wage Rate
- Training: Name and Address of Training Provider(s), Course Title, Course Description, Training Start and End Dates, Training Will Result In (Certificate of Completion, College Credit, Industry Recognized Certificate, Other, Systems Certification), Training Outcomes for Company (Secure a New Contract, New Domestic Market, Expansion of an Existing Client Base, New Export Market, New Business Partnership), and Training Costs per employee
- Training Summary: Training Outcome for the Employee (New Skill for Current Position, Training for Career Advancement, Skill Modernization, Training for a New Position/Promotion) – Please note that if you have assigned an employee to more than one course, you will have to repeat this process for each course they are assigned
Training We Offer that May Qualify
- Lean Manufacturing
- Six Sigma
- Minitab Software
- ISO Auditing Software
- Project Management
- SQL and Database Design
Request A Free Training Grant Consultation
Fill out our Free Training Consultation Form and a program coordinator will contact you with the next steps.