Undergraduate Curriculum

The chemistry department offers four bachelor level degrees in chemistry:  BS Chemistry, BS Chemistry with Polymer option, and BS Biochemistry.  These degrees provides the most in depth concentration in chemistry theory and practice and are for students who want to go into chemical or biochemical research careers and pursue advanced degrees in chemistry, biochemistry, or polymer science. 


The BS Degrees in Chemistry

These are certified by the American Chemical Society so they meet guidelines for content.  This means our students learn the same chemical concepts as a student at any other school in the US.  In addition, the department offers a BS Natural Sciences in Polymer Chemistry which is a 3 year degree in chemistry followed by a 2 year masters degree in polymer science.

The BA Chemistry Degree

This degree provides a strong background in chemical concepts without requiring the same number of advanced chemistry courses as needed for the BS degrees.  This degree is more flexible.   It is suitable for students who like chemistry but want to pursue a professional degree like medicine or dentistry.  The degree allows students to take the additional courses needed for entrance into these professional schools.

Chemistry Minor

To earn a minor in Chemistry you need:

  • 19-22 credits in chemistry
  • You must complete

    • 3150:151 – Principles of Chemistry  I 3 crds
    • 3150:152 - Principles of Chemistry  I Lab  2 crds
    • 3150:153 - Principles of Chemistry II  3 crds
    • 3150:263 – Organic Chemistry Lecture I  3 credits
    • 3150:264 – Organic Chemistry Lecture II 3 crds
  • You must complete a minimal additional 6 credits of chemistry at the 300-400 level

 Undergraduate Chemistry Courses

The department offers a wide variety of courses in the major areas of chemistry - Analytical, Biochemistry, Inorganic, Organic, and Physical Chemistries.  Here is list of the undergraduate chemistry courses.

Undergraduate Research

We encourage all of our undergraduates to participate in independent research. 

There are two ways to get hands-on experience in chemistry.

  1. Take Chem 499 (or 497 for Honors students) to do research with a faculty member. Descriptions of the faculty research are available here at the University of Akron website, and also at the ACS Directory of Graduate Research (DGR). 
  2. Take Chem 399 to do an internship in an industrial, hospital or other off-campus laboratory. Your advisor can tell you about Chem 497 or 499, and Professor Tessier is in charge of Chem 399.

Chemistry Internship (3150:399) Syllabus

Guide to writing internship reports

Undergraduate research and honors projects (3150:499, 3150:497, and 9871:499)

Guide to writing research reports and honors projects