Living-Learning Communities (LLC) are established to provide distinctive settings where student academic success is supported through residential experiences.
Living-Learning Communities bring academics into the residence halls through mentorship by upperclass leaders, faculty and staff support, specialized programs, and linkage between coursework. From Outdoor Adventure to ROTC; Business to Pre-Med, there is an LLC available to hundreds of students each year!
Living-Learning Communities seek to:
- provide special attention to first-year students while offering mentoring opportunities to upperclassmen;
- focus on academic achievement in a productive and supportive setting;
- foster the joining of the scholarly and social aspects of student life; and
- promote collaboration among faculty, staff and students.
Today, we offer about 20 Living-Learning Communities. See the list.
What are the benefits?
Recent national studies have emphasized the unique potential for Living-Learning Communities to positively impact student success and retention. Not only do students perform better in class, but they feel more connected to their peers, the faculty and the University, and as a result, are more likely to return the next year.
Likewise, Living-Learning Communities allow you to:
- access an enhanced residential experience through specialized programs;
- experience increased faculty and staff contact outside the classroom;
- experience greater academic support opportunities;
- foster a greater connection to the University; and
- build lifetime friendships
How can I apply?
Upon successfully completing a Housing Contract and selecting an LLC preference, students will be notified by email with access to the LLC Application.
We select students who wish to engage themselves in the resources, programs, and opportunities our communities provide.
- Students interested in academically-focused communities must be majoring in a related discipline.
- Students are required to reside in the residence hall in which their LLC is located if selected to participate. Living-Learning Communities are located in Spicer and South Hall.
- Roommate preferences are permitted but both roommates must be in the same LLC.
When will I know if I've been accepted into an LLC?
We will begin reviewing applications early-March and continue until each community is filled. Offers will be made via email to LLC participants. Check your email regularly for updates regarding your status.
Am I guaranteed a spot in an LLC?
By selecting an LLC in your housing contract, you are not guaranteed placement in a LLC. Completed LLC applications will be reviewed by the Coordinator of Living-Learning Communities and participation will be offered on a first-come, first-served basis. Selection will continue throughout early summer or until each community is filled, so be sure to apply as early as possible!
Can I be considered once a LLC is filled?
Students selected for Living-Learning Communities will be notified by the end of June. Alternate positions will be offered to communities after available spots are filled for future consideration.