The Testing Services adheres to the mission of the Counseling Center and promotes community engagement and student learning, success, and retention by providing a standardized testing environment for University and community members. The Testing Services differentiates itself and the University by adhering to the National College Testing Association (NCTA) professional standards and guidelines.
Testing services provided on campus
The University of Akron maintains extensive testing services as part of the services of the Counseling Center. The services are staffed by two testing specialists and one psychologist. Persons from all over the country use our testing because we are members of the National College Testing Association and listed in the Consortium of College Testing Centers. The testing office is located in Room 304 Simmons Hall. Click here to see a campus map to find UA Testing Services.
On-campus testing is available for UA faculty
On-campus testing services are available to faculty and others who wish us to give tests to individuals and groups. Please use the On-Campus Proctor Sheet so we know exactly what you would like done. If you need to test a group of students, please call us to make arrangements.
Proctored exams are provided to students attending other universities at a cost of $20/hour, but are prorated to the nearest quarter hour.
The Residual ACT
The Residual ACT is a special ACT test that is good only at the University of Akron. The test dates are never on the same dates at the National ACT. Unlike the National ACT, where you register with ACT in Iowa, registration for the Residual ACT takes place at The University of Akron.
You can register for the test until 3 p.m. the Friday before the exam. We stencil-score the answer sheets before sending them to ACT, so your scores will be at The University of Akron Admissions Office within several work days.
How to register for the Residual ACT
Click this link to go to our ACT Registration page
Other testing programs offered by Testing Services
- Language Placement Testing is available for French, German, Spanish, Italian, and Latin through Testing Services.
- Math, Reading, and Writing Placement Testing is available through Computer Based Assessment and Evaluation, which is located in 152 Schrank Hall North. Please contact this office at 330-972-6511 for more information.
- The College Level Examination Program (CLEP) is a means of obtaining college credit by examination. When you pass a CLEP exam, course credit is added to your transcript without having to pay tuition.
- Professional Exam Preparation Courses: At Workforce Development and Continuing Education, there are a number of classes for preparation for tests such as the GMAT, ACT, LSAT, GRE and others. Follow the link above to go to their page listing the courses they are offering.
- Psychological Testing is available by referral from one of our psychologists or psychologist trainees. The list of such tests is quite extensive.
- Correspondence Testing is available for those who wish to take tests at our testing service proctored by our staff. Typically, the test results are sent to another university. Call 330-972-6741 to make arrangements for this service. We charge $20 per hour.
- Career Testing is extensively available for individuals seeking career counseling at the Counseling Center. There is a $10 charge for career tests.
- National Testing Programs are administered at our institution and include the ACT, SAT, LSAT, PRAXIS (also referred to at the NTE), and GRE (subject examinations). Click any of the links to register for the exams.
- The Millers Analogy Test is available Monday through Friday year round at 8 a.m. ,10 a.m., noon and 2 p.m. Limited evening times are available on Tuesdays during fall and spring semesters. The test is administered by computer, and results are available immediately. We charge $90 for the exam payable by check, cash or charge.
- DANTES (now called DSST) is available for college credit at other institutions. The University of Akron does not accept DANTES exams for credit. DANTES currently charges $80, and we charge an additional $20 for computer tests and $35 for written DANTES tests.
- Learning Disorder/ADHD Assessments are available for a number of learning problems students experience. Call The Counseling Center at 330-972-7082 and make an appointment with one of the psychologists to get started with this testing.
How can I get more information?
For more information, call 330-972-7084