Dr. Erol Sancaktar
Professor of Mechanical Engineering
Department of Polymer Engineering
- 1979 Ph. D., Engineering Mechanics, Virginia Polytechnic Institute and State University
- 1976 M.S., Mechanical Engineering, Virginia Polytechnic Institute and State University
- 1974 B. S., Mechanical Engineering, Robert College (now Bogazici University), Istanbul
Mechanical behavior of adhesives, polymers, composites; materials characterization; viscoelasticity; fracture mechanics; experimental and theoretical solid mechanics; design and manufacture with novel materials; excimer laser applications in polymers for: adhesion enhancement, process evaluation and nanopatterning; electrically conductive adhesives and polymers; nanoprocessing, nanocomposites and nanodevices.
- Fellow, ASME International, elected September 1997.
- Guest Professor, Shenyang Jianzhu University, China. Appointed by the President of the University, 2005-2008.
- Elected Chair, for ASME Reliability Stress Analysis and Failure Prevention Technical Committee (1997 - 2008). Awarded "Certificate of Appreciation" from ASME for this service.
- Awarded certificates of appreciation from ASME for chairmanship at IDETC/CIE 2005, 2007 and IMECE 2008 conferences.
- 34 different grants, totaling over $1.5M. Two of these were teaching grants. Among these grants were also 6 different NSF awards (one as Co-PI) totaling about $600K and spanning over 12 years. The first one of these was an "NSF Research Initiation Grant".
Editorial Advisory Board Memberships
- Journal of Adhesion Science and Technology (1993 - Present).
- Recent Patents on Chemical Engineering (2007 - Present).
- International Journal of Polymer Science (2008 - Present).
Associate Technical Editorships
- Transactions of the ASME, Journal of Mechanical Design (1995 - 1998); (2003 - 2006); Awarded "Certificate of Appreciation" from ASME for this service.
- Transactions of the ASME, Journal of Medical Devices (2006 - present).
- Who's Who in America 52nd edition (1998), 53rd edition (1999), 57th edition (2003), 58th edition (2004), 60th edition (2006), 62nd edition (2008), 63rd edition (2009).
- Who's Who in the World, 7th edition (1984), 12th edition (1995), 22nd edition (2005), 23rd edition (2006), 24th edition (2007), 25th edition (2008), 26th edition (2009).
- Who's Who in Science and Engineering 2nd edition (1994), 3rd edition (1996), 4th edition (1997), 5th edition (2000), 7th edition (2003-2004), 8th edition (2005-2006), 10th edition (2008-2009).
- Who's Who in American Education 1st edition (1989), 3rd edition (1992), 6th edition (2004-2005), 8th edition (2007-2008).
- Who's Who among American Teachers and Educators (2006-2007).
- American Men and Women of Science (1998).
- Who's Who in the East 26th edition (1996).
- Who's Who in the Midwest 25th edition (1996).
- Who's Who in Finance and Industry 29th edition (1995), 35th edition (2006-2007), 36th edition (2008-2009).
- Two Thousand Notable American Men (1992, 1994).
- Who's Who Among Rising Young Americans (1990).
- Who's Who in Frontier Science and Technology, lst edition (1984).
- The Adhesive and Sealant Council Directory of Researchers and Research Programs.
- Adhesives Age Directory of Research Programs.
- Sigma Xi, The Scientific Research Society of North America, Virginia Polytechnic Institute Chapter, elected full member.
Recognitions of Graduate Students
- Pavel Paramonov (Ph.D.) (Dr. S. Lyuksyutov, Physics Department, co-advisor) won "University of Akron Outstanding Research Award" (2004), and Omnova Solutions Inc. "Signature University Award" (2005).
- Dae-Up Ahn (Ph.D.) "Honorable Mention" for research poster at Polymer Engineering Sponsor's and Alumni Day, Polymer Processing Hall of Fame (2005).
- Kim, Jongdae (Ph.D.) Omnova Solutions Inc. won "Intern Fellowship" award (2002-2003).
- Sean Simmons (M.S.) won "John R. Mann Award" at University of Akron (1998).
- Yong Wei (Ph.D.) won an "ISHM Educational Foundation Research Grant" (1994 1995).
- Joseph Baldwin (M.S.) won the "First Place Award" in AIAA 1986 National Graduate Student Competition.