Dr. William J. Landis
G. Stafford Whitby Chair
Department of Polymer Science
- 1972 Ph.D., Massachusetts Institute of Technology (Biophysics)
- 1967 S.M., Massachusetts Institute of Technology (Biology)
- 1965 B.S., University of Massachusetts, Amherst (Physics), magna cum laude
The Landis Laboratory concerns itself with several aspects of connective tissue molecular biology, biochemistry, structure and function. These include research investigations of (1) Mineral-matrix structure and interaction in normal (bone, calcifying cartilage and tendon, enamel, dentin, and cementum) and abnormal (osteogenesis imperfecta, osteoporosis, osteopetrosis) vertebrate tissues; (2) Bone, cartilage, and tendon biochemistry; (3) Tissue engineering of connective and calcified tissues to fabricate models of human digits, ears, and knees; (4) Effects of mechanical, gravitational, and electromagnetic forces on calcified tissues; and (5) Orthopaedic pathologies such as those involving osteoarthritis, slipped capital femoral epiphysis, hypothyroidism, dysplasia, clubfoot and others.
New England Society for Electron Microscopy, Orthopaedic Research Society, Microbeam Analysis Society, International Association for Dental Research, Electron Microscopy Society of America, American Society for Bone and Mineral Research, American Society for Gravitational and Space Biology, American Society for Cell Biology, Fulbright Association, American Society for Matrix Biology
Phi Eta Sigma; Phi Kappa Phi ; Phi Beta Kappa; Sigma Xi ; Captain, University of Massachusetts nationally undefeated team, General Electric College Bowl - NBC Television competition; President, Student Government, University of Massachusetts; Who's Who in American Colleges and Universities; Kappa Delta Award, American Academy of Orthopaedic Surgeons, awarded for scientific contributions to the field of musculoskeletal research; Stauffer Award for the most outstanding basic laboratory manuscript appearing in Investigative Radiology (Seltzer et al., 1984); Fulbright Senior Research Scholar; Chairman, Gordon Research Conference on Calcium Phosphates (1989); Cecil E. Hall Award for the most outstanding work presented at the annual meeting of the Electron Microscope Society of America (McEwen et al., 1991); Harold C. Copp Prize from the German Osteological Society for outstanding and ground-breaking contribution to the literature (Fratzl et al., 1997); Joseph E. Murray Award for the outstanding work presented at the annual meeting of the New England Society of Plastic and Reconstructive Surgeons (Isogai et al., 1997); Visiting professor pro tempore, Cleveland Clinic Educational Foundation, Cleveland, OH; Visiting professor pro tempore, Department of Orthopaedics, Case Western Reserve University, Cleveland, OH; Keynote speaker, First Annual Orthopaedic Research Day, Department of Orthopaedics, Case Western Reserve University, Cleveland, OH; Guest speaker, Ohio Orthopaedic Society; Technology Forum Award for outstanding abstract presented at Microscopy and Microanalysis 2001 (Jacquet et al., 2001); Keynote speaker, 11th Research Council Meeting of the Japan Society of Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery, Sendai, Japan; Faculty inductee, Alpha Omega Alpha, honor medical society; Keynote speaker, Japan Society of Teratology, Osaka, Japan; National tour speaker, Microscopy Society of America; Keynote speaker, Internal Medicine Residency Research Day, Northeastern Ohio Universities Colleges of Medicine and Pharmacy; Keynote speaker, Midwest Orthopaedic Research and Education Foundation, annual meeting, Akron, Ohio
- Kisailus, D, Estroff L, Gupta H, Landis W, Zavattieri P, eds. Structure-property relationships in biomineralized and biomimetic composites. Materials Research Society Symposium Proceedings. Vol. 1187, Warrendale, PA: Materials Research Society, 2009.
- Landis W, Wada Y, Enjo M, Jacquet R, Lowder E, Isogai N. Influence of scaffold composition on gene expression and cellular organization in tissue-engineered middle phalanx models of human digits. In: Kisailus, D, Estroff L, Gupta H, Landis W, Zavattieri P, eds. Structure-property relationships in biomineralized and biomimetic composites. Materials Research Society Symposium Proceedings. Vol. 1187. Warrendale, PA: Materials Research Society, 2009:23-29.