Dr. Xiong Gong
Department of Polymer Engineering
- Ph.D. Physics (Optics), Nankai University, P. R. China (1997)
- M.Sc. Chemistry (Solid State Chemistry), Lanzhou University, P. R. China (1994)
- B.Sc. Chemistry , Northwest Normal University, P. R. China (1986)
- Manager of Advanced Materials and Devices, Cbrite Inc. (2005-2010)
- Research Scientist and Senior Research Scientist, UC Santa Barbara (2005-2010)
- Senior Scientist, Cbrite Inc. (2004-2006)
- Post-doc, UC Santa Barbara, with Professor Alan J. Heeger, (2001-2004)
- Alexander von Humboldt Research Fellowship (1999-2000)
- Assistant, Associate Professor, Department of Polymer Engineering, University of Akron, Akron, OH (August 2010-present)
- Adjunct Professor and Adjunct Chair Professor, South China University of Technology, P. R. China (2007-present)
Honors and Awards
- The World's Most Influential Scientific Minds 2014 (2015)
- Top 1 % Highly Cited Researcher by Thomson Reuters (2014)
- NSF CAREER award (2014)
- Key International Collaboration Project Award, NSF of China (NSFC) (2013)
- 3M Non-tenured Faculty Award (2011)
- Overseas Outstanding Chinese Young Scientist Awards, NSFC (2008)
- K. C. Wong Education Foundation Fellow (2009)
- Alexander von Humboldt Research Fellowship (1999)
Organic/polymer electronic and optoelectronic devices (solar cells, photodetectors, white light light-emitting diodes and displays, organic/polymer thin films diodes, thin film transistors, and biosensors), Organic thermoelectric devices, Organic supercapacitors/battery, Chemistry and physics of semiconducting organic/polymer materials and inorganic quantum dots and nanoparticles, Inorganic nanostructured materials and coordination compounds: synthesis, characterization and applications, CW and ultra-fast lasers, spectroscopy.
Current Research Projects
- Solution-Processed Perovskites Hybrid Solar Cells
- Ultrasensitive Solution-Processed Broadband Polymer Photodetectors
- Organic Thermoelectric Devices
- Toward High Performance Inverted Polymer Solar Cells
- Broadband Photodetectors with Perovskite Materials and Quantum Dots as the Light Sensors
- Effect of Magnetic Nanoparticles and External Magnetic Field on Polymer Solar Cells
- Self-Powered Electronics by Supercapacitors Integrated with Solar Cells
Selected Publications (more than 150 peer-reviewed publications)
- Chang Liu, Kai Wang, Pengcheng Du, Chao Yi, Tianyu Meng, Xiong Gong*, Efficient Solution-Processed Bulk Heterojunction Perovskite Solar Cells, Adv. Energy Mater. 2015, DOI:10.1002/aenm.201402024.
- Chang Liu, Kai Wang, Pengcheng Du, Chao Yi, Tianyu Meng, Xiong Gong*, Solution-Processed Inverted Perovskite Hybrid Photodetectors, J. Mater. Chem. C. 2015, 3, 6600-6606. (The Journal Front Cover)
- Pengcheng Du, Xiaowen Hu, Chao Yi, Huckleberry C. Liu, Peng Liu, Hao-Li Zhang, and Xiong Gong*, Self-powered electronics by integration of flexible solid-state graphene-based supercapacitors with high performance perovskite solar cells, Advanced Functional Materials, 2015, 25, 2420-2427.
- Chao Yi, Abigail Wilhite, Pengcheng Du, Hucklee Chang Liu, Rundong Hu, Yiwen Chen, Jie Zheng, Xiong Gong*, High performance organic thermoelectric materials with tunable film morphology, ACS Applied Materials & Interfaces, 2015, 7, 8984-8989.
- Kai Wang, Chao Yi, Chang Liu, Chih-Hao Hsu, Steven Chuang, and Xiong Gong*, Effects of Magnetic Nanoparticles and External Magnetostatic Field on the Bulk Heterojunction Polymer Solar Cells, Scientific Reports, 2015, 5, 9265.
- Kai Wang, Chang Liu, Pengcheng Du, Jie Zheng and Xiong Gong*, Bulk Heterojuntion Perovskite Hybrid Solar Cells with Large Fill-Factor, Energy & Environ. Sci., 2015, 8(4), 1245-1255.
- C. Liu, C. Yi, Y. L. Yang, K. Wang, S. Xiao and Xiong Gong*, A Novel Donor-Acceptor Conjugated Polymer for Single-Junction Polymer Solar Cell with 10% Power Conversion Efficiency, ACS Applied Materials & Interfaces, 2015, 7(8), 4928-4935.
- C. Liu, X. W. Hu, C. M. Zhong, M. J. Huang, K. Wang, Y. Cao, Xiong Gong*, A. J. Heeger, Influence of Binary Processing Additives on the Performance of Polymer Solar Cells, Nanoscale, 2014, 6, 14297-14304.
- X. W. Hu, C. Yi, M. Wang, C.-H. Hsu, S. J. Liu, K. Zhang, C. M. Zhong, F. Huang, Xiong Gong* and Y. Cao, High-Performance Inverted Organic Photovoltaics with Over 1-μm Thick Active Layers, Adv. Eng. Mater., 2014, DOI: 10.1002/aenm.201400378.
- Xilan Liu, Jinjun Zhou, Jie Zheng, Matthew L. Becker, and Xiong Gong*, Water-soluble CdTe quantum dots as an anode interlayer for solution-processed near infrared polymer photodetectors,Nanoscale, 2013, 5, 12474-12479.
- C. L. Wang, W. B, Zhang, H. J. Sun, C. C. Tsai, B. Lotz, Xiong Gong*, and S. Z. D. Cheng, A supramolecular “double-cable” structure with a 12944 helix in a columnar porphyrin-C60 dyad and the implication in polymer solar cells, Adv. Eng. Mater., 2012, 2, 1375.
- T. B. Yang, M. Wang, C. H. Duan, X. W. Hu, L. Huang, J. P. Peng, F. Huang, and Xiong Gong*, Inverted polymer solar cells with 8.4% efficiency by conjugated polyelectrolyte, Energy & Environmental Science, 2012, 5, 8208.
- T. B. Yang, M. Wang, Y. Cao, F. Huang, L. Huang, J. B. Peng, Xiong Gong*, S. Z. D. Cheng and Y. Cao, Polymer solar cells with a low temperature-annealed sol-gel-derived MoOx film as an the hole extraction layer, Adv. Ene. Mat., 2012, 2, 523.
- C. L. Wang, W. B. Zhang, R. Van Horn, Y. F. Tu, Xiong Gong*, S. Z. D. Cheng, Y. M. Sun, M. H. Tong, J. H. Seo, B. B. Y. Hsu, and A. J. Heeger, A porphyrin-fullerene dyad with a supramolecular "double-cable" structure as a novel electron acceptor for bulk heterojunction polymer solar cells, Adv. Mater., 2011, 23(26), 2951.
- Xiong Gong*, M. H. Tong, F. G. Brunetti, J. H. Seo, Y. M. Sun, D. Moses, F. Wudl, and A. J. Heeger, Bulk heterojunction solar cells with large open-circuit voltage and electron transfer with small donor-acceptor energy offset, Adv. Mater. 2011, 23(20), 2272.
- Xiong Gong* M. H. Tong, Y. J. Xia, W. Z. Cai, J. S. Moon, Y. Cao, G. Yu, C. L. Shieh, B. Nilsson, and A. J. Heeger, High-detectivity polymer photodetectors with spectral response from 300 nm to 1450 nm, Science, 2009, 325, 1665.