- 2003 Ph.D. Organic Chemistry, Washington University
- 2000 M.A. Organic Chemistry, Washington University
- 1998 B.S. Chemistry, ACS Accredited, Northwest Missouri State University
Dr. Becker's Research Website
My group focuses on synthesizing macromolecular materials, which stimulate and influence cell functions including proliferation, differentiation and internalization. These materials incorporate bio-functional species in a controlled manner with the goal of directing cell responses. We are developing new peptide-and DNA-based ligands and nanoparticle reporters for the characterization of molecular signatures, which occur during these processes. The knowledge gained from these studies impacts numerous areas in biomaterials, regenerative medicine, and the detection of disease states, including cancer.
Phone: (330) 972-2834
- NM Moore, NJ Lin, ND Gallant, ML Becker* "Enhancing MC3T3-E1 Osteoblast Proliferation Using Immobilized Osteogenic Growth Peptide on Gradient Substrates Synthesized via "Click" Chemistry" Biomaterials, 2010, 31, 1604-1611.
- MC Weiger, JJ Park, MD Roy, CM Stafford, A Karim, ML Becker* "Quantification of the Binding Affinity of a Specfic Hydroxyapatite Binding Peptide" Biomaterials, 2010, 31, 2955-2963.
- KA Aamer, KL Genson, J Kohn, ML Becker* "Impact of Polymer-bound Iodine on Fibronectin Adsorption and Osteoblast Cellular Morphology in Radiopaque Medical Polymers: Tyrosine-derived Polycarbonate Blends as a Model System" Biomacromolecules, 2009, 10(9), 2418-2426.
- KA Aamer, CM Stafford, L Richter, J Kohn, ML Becker* "Elastic Modulus Stiffening in Tyrosine-derived Polycarbonates Thin films and their Blends." Macromolecules, 2009, 42(4), 1212-1218.
- MD Roy, SK Stanley, EJ Amis, ML Becker* "High Specificity Hydroxyapatite Binding Motif Identified via Phage Display" Advanced Materials, 2008, 20(10), 1830-1836.
- MD Roy, A Herzing, SH Lacerda, ML Becker* "Emission-Tunable, Microwave Synthesis of Highly Luminescent Water Soluble Quantum Dots" Chemical Communications, 2008, 2106-2108.
- JA Fagan, ML Becker, J Chun, EK Hobbie "Length Fractionation of Carbon Nanotubes using Ultracentrifugation" Advanced Materials, 2008, 20(9), 1609-1614.
American Chemical Society
Society for Biomaterials
American Association for the Advancement of Science
Faculty Profile [PDF]