- 1980 Ph. D., Polymer Chemistry, College of Engineering, Kyoto University
- 1974 M. S., Polymer Chemistry, College of Engineering, Kyoto University
- 1972 B.S., Textile Engineering, Kyoto Institute of Technology
Phase equilibria and kinetics of phase separation in polymer blends; phase transitions in crystalline and liquid crystalline polymers; molecular composites; processing, structure and properties of ionomer membranes; pattern formation and electro-optical properties of dispersed liquid crystal systems.
American Chemical Society, American Physical Society, Materials Research Society, International Polymer Processing Society, Akron Polymer Lecture Group.
- Outstanding Research Award, University of Akron, 1998.
- GenCorp Signature University Award, 1998.
- Mombusho Scholar, Ministry of Education, Science and Culture, Japan, 1967-1974 and 1978-1980.
- "Liquid Crystalline Polymer Systems: Tech. Advances," A.I. Isayev, T. Kyu, and S.Z.D. Cheng Eds., Am.Chem.Soc. Symp. Ser. # 632, Washington D.C., 1996.
- "Polyolefin Blends" and "Polyolefin Composites," 2 volumes, D. Nwabunma and T. Kyu, Eds., J. Wiley & Sons, New York, (2007).
Patents and Copyrights
- "Single phase blends of Polycarbonate and Polymethyl methacrylate" T. Kyu and J.M. Saldanha, U.S. Patent 4,773,654, May 10, (1988).
- "Melt-Processable, Toughened, Transparent Blends of PC/PMMA, T. Kyu, U.S. Patent 5,049,619, September 17, (1991).
- "Small-Angle Scattering and Image Analysis," SASIMA program, Copy Right, University of Akron, H.W. Chiu and T. Kyu, 1998.
- "Simulation of Phase Separation Dynamics," Copy Right, University of Akron, H.W. Chiu and T. Kyu, May 5, 1999.
- "Non-Birefringent Optical Adhesives and Films," T. Kyu, U.S. Patent 5,905,554, May 18, (1999).
- "Electrically Tunable Microlens Array Formed by Pattern Polymerization of Photopolymerizable Mixtures Containing Liquid Crystals" T. Kyu and D. Nwabunma, U.S. Patent No. 6,815,016 (2004).
- "Micro-porous Compound Lens," T. Kyu and S. Meng, Patent application disclosure to University of Akron, 2003.
- "Modification of Nafion® Membranes by Incorporation of Polyacid Functionalized Hyperbranched Polyesters (HBPEAc-COOH)" N. Nazir and T. Kyu, Patent application disclosure to University of Akron, UA 777,2008.
- "Polymer Composition and Dialysis Membrane Formed From the Polymer Composition" Provisional Patent Application: U.S. Serial No. 61/119,822, 2008.