Dr. Arkady I. Leonov
Department of Polymer Engineering
- 1969 Ph. D., Mathematical Physics, Karpov's Physical Chemistry Research Institute, Moscow
- 1962 Ph. D., Theoretical Mechanics, Institute of Problems in Mechanics, USSR Academy of Sciences, Moscow
- 1961 M.C., Mathematics, Moscow State University
- 1957 M.S., Chemical Engineering, Moscow Institute of Chemical Engineering
Classic and polymer related continuum mechanics of solids and liquids (including geophysical fluid mechanics), polymer rheology and fluid mechanics, polymer physics and physico-chemistry, polymer processing, mathematical sociology.
- Professor - Institute of Polymer Engineering and Department of Polymer Engineering, the University of Akron, Akron, Ohio, August 1988 to present
- Professor, Chairman - Department of Theoretical Mechanics, Kemerovo Institute of Technology, Kemerovo, USSR, 1984 -1987
- Professor - Department of Polymer Engineering, Moscow Institute of Chemical Engineering, Moscow, USSR, 1974- 1984
- Senior Research Fellow, Head - Rheology Group, Institute of Problems in Mechanics of the USSR Academy of Sciences, Moscow, USSR, 1965 -1982
- Research Associate - Rheology Lab., Institute of Petrochemical Synthesis of the USSR Academy of Sciences, Moscow, 1962 -1965
- Doctoral Candidate - Department of Theoretical Mechanics, Moscow Institute of Chemical Engineering, Moscow, USSR, 1959-1962
- Senior Engineer, Head - Department of Computations in Mechanics, Moscow Synthetic Rubber Plant, Moscow, USSR, 1957 -1959
- Visiting Scientist - Materials Division, NASA Glenn, Cleveland, Ohio, Jan. 31 - May 31, 2001
- Visiting Scientist - Isaac Newton Institute for Mathematical Studies, Cambridge, U.K., January, 1996
- Visiting Scientist - Institut de Mechanique de Grenoble, Grenoble, France, June - July, 1990
- Visiting Scientist - The Goodyear Tire and Rubber Co., Research Division, Akron, Ohio, June-August, 1989
- Visiting Scientist - Dept. of Polymer Sci. and Polymer Technology, IBM Almaden Research, San Jose, CA, May - August, 1988
- Visiting Scholar - Department of Chemical Engineering, Stanford University, Stanford, CA, Jan-May, 1988
- Society of Rheology
- American Academy of Mechanics
- American Society of Mechanical Engineers
Awards and Honors
- Honorary Member of British Society of Rheology
- Vinogradov's Society of Rheology Award, 2001
Reviewing (Personal and Proposals)
- NY Acad. Sci.
- Journal of Rheology
- Rheological Acta
- Journal of Non-Newtonian Fluid Mechanics
- Journal of Applied Polymer Science
- Polymer Engineering and Science
- International Polymer Processing
- Rubber Chemistry and Technology
- International Journal of Engineering Science
- Journal of Engineering Mathematics
- Fluid Dynamics Research
- Mechanics of Time-Dependent Materials
- International Journal of Solids and Structures
- Ind. J. of Pure and Appl. Math.
Alexei Melnikov, Ph.D. Student, 3rd Year
Topic: Damage and Fatique in Cross-Linked Rubbers.
Defended PhD proposal in December, 2008.
Siamak Shams, Ph.D. Student, 1st Year
Topic: Modeling and Optimization of Polyimide Films Processing
Started to work in January 2009.