One of the best representations of the University’s relationship to private/public philanthropy and its community was the effort to reclaim for University-use the former downtown Akron Polsky’s department store building.
The store had been closed for many years, and redevelopment efforts had been unsuccessful. With a gift from the building’s owner, the Prudential Insurance Co. of America, and support from the Akron Community Foundation, Ohio Edison, the Sisler McFawn Foundation, the GAR Foundation, the Knight Foundation, Goodyear, Paul Martin, and others, the building became part of the University campus in 1993. Remodeled and refurbished, the building became the largest classroom building in the state and the expanded home of the Community and
Several University departments also relocated to the
The David E. and Barbara Waddell Internship in Applied Politics was established in 1993 by David E. “Gene” Waddell and his wife to benefit University of Akron students pursuing careers in communications or journalism and selected to serve as interns with party officials, candidates, or officeholders.
Also in 1993, The GAR Foundation, created by Galen A. Roush, one of the founders of Roadway Express trucking, made its largest-ever grant to enhance the University’s Honors Program. The gift was made in honor of Lisle M. Buckingham, a trustee of the GAR Foundation. The endowment greatly expanded honors-level scholarships for select undergraduates and helped bring prominent lecturers to campus for Honors programs.
Additionally, the estate of Frank J. Jackson endowed a scholarship for intercollegiate athletics, and John and Sandy Hansel established the Hansel Family Scholarship to endow the quarterback position on the football team. Anna Sicka created the Richard W. Sicka Fellowship in polymer science. Chalmers Brown generously funded scholarships, and Paul Martin continued his generosity by creating a scholarship in history, in memory of his beloved wife, Dorothy.
Established in 1993, The Dr. Margaret R. Taber Scholarship for Women in Engineering fund provides for outstanding women students in any of the areas of engineering with special preference given to students in electrical engineering. Through the establishment of this scholarship, Dr. Margaret R. Taber hopes to provide assistance and support for women as they strive to reach their educational objectives of becoming professional engineers.
Dr. Margaret R. Taber is a respected teacher and author, having taught from 1964 to 2000. She is professor emeritus of electrical engineering technology at
The Robert C. Stell Scholarship Fund in Chemical Engineering was established in 1993 by his wife, Julia Mikis Stell. Mr. Stell was a member of AICHE for more than 50 years, as well as a Fellow of that organization. The scholarship is in recognition of the Stells' belief in higher education and desire to assist young people.
In 1994, a bequest from the estate of Raymond C. Firestone went to the
The Levi A. MacDonald Memorial Fund in Civil Engineering was established by a provision in the will of alumnus Levi MacDonald, a member of the Class of 1926. Levi and his wife, Doris, wanted to demonstrate their appreciation for his education at the University and also help engineering students achieve their dreams.
The Robert U. Blaser Family Endowed Scholarship was created by a gift to The University of Akron Foundation by Robert U. Blaser in 1993 in memory of his wife, Naomi, and his daughter, Loretta. Robert Blaser graduated from the physics program in 1937 with two other students. The program’s significant growth has pleased him and encouraged him to offer support for this program.
The Gary S. Calogar Memorial Scholarship was established on April 9, 1993, by Betty and George Calogar in memory of their son, Gary S. Calogar B.S.N. ‘84. Following graduation,
Joan Rhodes endowed the James O. Rhodes ’50 Endowment for Women in Engineering in 1994, and Mr. & Mrs. Charles Tucker established an engineering scholarship. Walter Mirapaul continued his support for the arts through a grant from the Mirapaul Foundation.
The Knight Foundation provided two major awards in 1994. It endowed the John S. Knight Lectureship series and awarded grants for a joint effort between the University and the
The William A. ’39 and Mildred C. ’46 Walzer Scholarship Fund was established in 1994. William and Mildred are both graduates of the
Also in 1994, the Judge Harold and Jeannette White Scholarship was established. Funded originally by income from seminars in bankruptcy laws prepared or presented by Judge White and supplemented since 1994 by annual contributions by Harold and Jeanette, these scholarships are available to upper-class law students.
* * *
Dr. Paul Daum, Associate Professor of Theater Arts and an alumnus, inaugurated the 1995 giving year. After devoting his professional life to The University of Akron theater program, he created a large endowment to fund Kolbe Theater renovations and upkeep. Trustees renamed the theater in his honor. Dr. Daum also endowed a professorship in theater arts.
Following was a substantial contribution from Mary Moyer to establish the Dr. Frederick W. Moyer Chair in Finance. Dr. Moyer had a long tenure of service in the
The Harry P. and Rainy G. Stitzlein Endowed Scholarship for Excellence in Business was established in 1995 by Mr. Stitzlein’s wife, Rainy Stitzlein, Malone Advertising, family, friends, and alumni as a memorial to one of the University’s most beloved alumni who died March 14, 1995, at the age of 67. The scholarship pays homage to a man who was a great community leader, loyal alumnus and distinguished businessman. Mr. Stitzlein, Chairman of Malone Advertising, Inc. of
The E. J. Thomas Foundation made a grant to support the University’s world-famous E. J. Thomas Performing Arts Hall.
Mr. and Mrs. William T. Fitzgerald demonstrated their trust in the University by making a very large gift in 1995 to establish the William T. and Rita Fitzgerald Institute for Entrepreneurial Studies within the
The Judith A. and Roger T. Read Scholarship Fund in the Buchtel College of Arts and Sciences was established in 1995 by alumni Judy and Roger Read. The Judith A. and Roger T. Read Scholarship assists deserving students in completing their education. During this year, the Reads also launched the Roger T. and Judith A. Read Fund for Science and Technology to assist their alma mater in its burgeoning research initiatives and in the purchase of scientific equipment.
Royal C. and Betty Jane Gardner established a named scholarship in 1995, and Teresa McMorrow endowed the Mr. and Mrs. Frank P. McMorrow scholarship to assist students in the
Also in 1995, Dr. Clarence Gilham, class of 1934, established the Dr. Clarence T. Gilham Endowed Scholarship Fund. The scholarship assists deserving undergraduate or graduate students who intend to pursue the Christian ministry or graduate studies in history or biblical students. The fellowship recognizes Dr. Gilham’s devotion to higher education as a teacher and scholar. Dr. Gilham was awarded six academic degrees, two from The University of Akron.
The John Morris Davies and William Olin Davies Memorial Fund in Physics was established in 1995 by Mrs. Margaret A. Davies in loving recognition of her late husband John ’22, ’24 and her deceased son, William ’57. Both her husband and her son shared a great love of physics.
John received undergraduate and master's degrees in physics from The University of Akron and a Ph.D. from
William graduated from
The Aubrey McDonald Brenneman Endowed Fund for the Center for Economic Education was created in 1995 to further the Center’s work in teacher training, instructional materials, and curriculum reform in economics for secondary and post-secondary schools in
The Virginia E. Wilson Endowment was established in 1995 for the single purpose of providing the necessary resources to maintain the Center at its current level of excellence. The funds made available by the endowment are to be expended by the coordinator(s) of the
The Dr. John Samuel Phillipson Jr. Scholarship Fund was established through a gift from the estate of Dr. John Phillipson (1917-1995). Dr. Phillipson taught English for 39 years, 25 of those at The University of Akron. A good deal of his life's work was the study of author Thomas Wolfe. As a scholar of 18th century English literature, he was drawn by this 20th century author's vivid romanticism. He founded The Thomas Wolfe Review in 1977, which provided the impetus for the creation of The Thomas Wolfe Society. The Thomas Wolfe Review, an international journal, was funded by the English Department of The University of Akron. His love of literature was matched by his great love of travel. This merit scholarship serves as a tribute to Dr. Phillipson's unwavering devotion to students and the field of English.
Robert C. Sigrist, cass of 1959, retired president of the defense division of Brunswick Corporation, established The Brunswick/Sigrist Endowed Scholarship in 1995 through The Brunswick Foundation.
Mr. Sigrist earned his B.S.B.A. by attending the University at night and working full time until a year before graduation. During that year, Mr. Sigrist attended the University full time to complete his degree. To assist and encourage
* * *
The Eleanor and Walter Dennis Student Scholarship was established in 1996 by Mrs. Patricia Ballard in loving memory of her parents. The Eleanor and Walter Dennis Student Scholarship provides financial support for deserving students. Mr. Walter Dennis, who was known as "Mr.
In 1996, the GenCorp Foundation made clear its faith in the
Later that year, Dr. and Mrs. Alvin M. Richards established a scholarship in civil engineering, in recognition of Dr. Richards’ tenure as department head, and they also provided awards for music and biology students.
The Isidore C. and Penny W. Myers Scholarship Fund was established on September 16, 1996, by Isidore C. Myers. In February 2006, Mr. Myers amended the name and purpose of the Fund. Isidore is a 1939 graduate of The University of Akron. Upon graduation, he joined his brothers, Meyer and Louis, as a partner in Myers Tire Supply, which later became Myers Industries. In 1971, Isidore left the company and started ICM-JAE Properties Inc., formerly known as Isidore C. Myers Properties Inc., a business to acquire, develop, and manage a private portfolio of industrial and commercial real estate in
In creating the Isidore C. and Penny W. Myers Scholarship Fund, Isidore stated, “A person must strive to leave this world a better place than when he or she entered it. The education I attained at The University of Akron was crucial to the success I achieved in my business career and in my life in general. It is time to repay The University of Akron, my mentors and benefactors. Penny and I are delighted to help others become college educated so they too can be the best they can be.” The purpose of the Isidore C. and Penny W. Myers Endowment Fund is to provide annual scholarship assistance for employees of Myers Industries Inc. or their children.
The Donald S. Hills Endowed Scholarship Fund in the George W. Daverio School of Accountancy was established in 1996 by Donald and his wife, Catherine. Donald is a 1947 graduate of the
James W. Barnett ’54 established the Joyce Wortman Barnett Scholarship in 1996 in memory of his late wife. To 2009, James has gifted nearly $300,000 to the scholarship that was created to assist young women in their pursuit of international business degrees in the
The Allen S. Crum Scholarship Fund was established in 1996 to support a native of
The Catharine and Robert Ferguson Endowed Fund in Educational Research was created in 1996 by Dr. and Mrs. Robert Ferguson in demonstration of their belief in The University of Akron. Further, the Fergusons chose to demonstrate their commitment to professional research and the need to support research initiatives. The purpose of The Catharine and Robert Ferguson Endowed Fund in Educational Research is to support educational research in the
Also in 1996, the Dr. and Mrs. Frederick E. Horn Endowed Scholarship in Accounting was established by Lenore Horn in memory of her husband, Dr. Frederick Horn. Dr. and Mrs. Horn both graduated from
The Sharon A. Hollinger Memorial Endowed Scholarship in Theatre Arts was established in 1996 through an estate gift from Sharon A. Hollinger ’69, a theatre and dance costumer, and through gifts received in her memory.
* * *
Alumna Mary Schiller Myers, who with her husband, Louis, had established scholarships in dance, art, and music, continued her remarkable support for University of Akron fine arts in 1997 with another very generous gift. University trustees acknowledged her generosity by naming the
Dr. and Mrs. Lester Coleman provided a gift for a graduate fellowship in chemistry. A 1952 graduate, he was chairman of the Lubrizol Corp. and a
The Judge Clande and Mrs. Thelma Emmons Endowed Scholarship was established in 1997 in honor of Judge Emmons and his wife. The Emmons’ political involvement spans more than 40 years and has contributed greatly to the growth and development of the judicial system within the state. Judge Emmons is a 1921 graduate of the University.
The Dr. Velma Pomrenke Student Assistance Fund was established by Dr. Pomrenke in 1997 for the benefit of students enrolled in the Community and
Mrs. Margery W. Hubbs established a scholarship in 1997. The scholarship is granted annually at the discretion of the donor with attention given to academic achievement and financial need. The award is a full scholarship providing for both academic and on-campus living expenses to recipients pursuing a baccalaureate degree. Mrs. Hubbs’ desire was to have an impact on the lives of students in the
The Catherine J. Wardman Endowed College of Education Scholarship for Women’s Physical Education was established in 1997 under the will of Catherine J. Wardman. This endowed scholarship fund was presented to The University of Akron College of Education. A retired physical education teacher, Miss Wardman was a dedicated teacher and directed that her support be used for women who share her dedication to teaching physical education.
The McClellans established the Ernest E. and Lois M. McClellan Endowed Scholarship in 1997 to assist students pursuing careers in chemistry or chemical engineering. Mr. McClellan received a bachelor’s degree in chemical engineering in 1949 from
The Suarez Corporation Industries Scholarship for Director Marketing was established in 1997 by Suarez Corporation Industries (SCI) and Benjamin D. Suarez, an alumnus of The University of Akron (class of 1967). Since SCI regularly recruits
Doris K. Galin established the Dr. Nathan I. Galin Memorial Scholarship in Music in 1997 in memory of her husband, Nathan, who had a lifelong appreciation of music and enjoyed helping young people.
* * *
Jim and Martha Foght made a major commitment to the University in 1998 by endowing a chair in chemistry. Robert E. Young, grandson of Allen Carlton who, with John R. Buchtel, was a co-founder of
Robert Holliday and his wife, Freda, established the Robert L. Holliday Fund in 1998. The founder of R. L. Holliday Company, Mr. Holliday flew the B-26 Marauder from 1942-1945 in the European theater of action. Mr. Holliday has served on the board of the B-26 Historical Society and has exhibited great leadership in the establishment, maintenance, and retention of the B-26 Marauder Archives at The University of Akron.
The Christian Values in Business Endowed Scholarship was established in 1998 by Ronald W. and Beverly J. Ocasek, alumni of the University. The scholarship was established by the Ocaseks to reward aspiring young business people who show definite promise of Christian service in the business community.
The Robert O. and Gwen L. Williamson Scholarship for Excellence was established in 1998. Robert graduated from the University in 1939 with a bachelor of science degree in civil engineering and a commission as a second lieutenant, having been a member of R.O.T.C. He joined Burger Iron after graduation, but was called to serve his country in World War II from 1942 to 1946 in the 102nd Division, assigned to the ETO. Captain Williamson returned to Burger Iron, where he served in various capacities and in 1966 was elected president. He was recognized by the University for his many achievements with an Alumni Honor Award in 1980.
The Donald E. Carter Sr. Scholarship for Excellence was established in 1998 by Donald E. Carter Sr. ’36, a graduate of the Chemistry Department. Donald used his chemistry degree during his professional career at Union Carbide. His passion, however, is for paleontology and the study of dinosaurs. Following his retirement, he spent time studying geology and went on several paleontological digs, where he made several notable discoveries.
The Robert R. Morrison Endowed Scholarship for Excellence in Business was established in 1998, by The J.M. Smucker Company in honor of Bob's retirement. Robert R. Morrison retired as vice president of operations after 38 years of service with the J.M. Smucker Company, where he also served on their board since 1970. Mr. Morrison graduated from The University of Akron in 1958 with a degree in business administration. Mr. Morrison was also a member of Phi Delta Theta Fraternity and a member of the University's soccer team.
Mr. Morrison is currently a member of the
The Gerard John Talbert Scholarship in Engineering was established in 1998 by J. Michael Talbert, BSChE ’70, chairman of the board and CEO of Transocean Offshore Inc., and his wife, Sharon, in memory of his father, Gerard John Talbert. The senior Mr. Talbert retired as a lieutenant of the city of Akron Police Department after 25 years of service. He believed that a good education, hard work, persistence, and a belief in yourself were the ingredients for success.
John R. Hunter, an entrepreneur, musician and composer, established the John R. and Maxine D. Hunter Memorial Endowed Scholarship in Music Education in 1998.
The Dr. Charles E. and Ruth Casto Women's Basketball Manager's Scholarship was established in 1998. Dr. Casto was a 1947 graduate of The University of Akron and former manager for the men's basketball team during his years as an undergraduate student. This scholarship provides scholarship assistance for individuals who serve as managers for the women's basketball team. From his own experience, Dr. Casto knows well the responsibilities of a manager require excellent organizational and time management skills. These behind-the-scenes individuals are integral parts of the team and its success. It is Dr. Casto's intention to provide his recognition for their efforts.
Philanthropy is a McDowell Family tradition. Mr. C. Blake McDowell Jr. bequeathed a gift of more than $2 million to the
The Kolbe Family Scholarship for Excellence in Communications was established in 1998 by K. William Kolbe to honor the legacy of the Kolbe family at The University of Akron. Professor Carl F. Kolbe was
Both men were honored as founding fathers of The University of Akron when the newly renovated Kolbe Hall was renamed the Carl F. and Parke R. Kolbe Hall in 1998. The Kolbe Family Scholarship ensures that the Kolbe legacy at The University of Akron will thrive eternally in assisting generations of deserving students.
The Andrew and Jane H. Takas Scholarship for Excellence was created in 1998 through the generosity of Andrew and Jane H. Takas. Mr. Takas, a former University of Akron marketing professor in the
The Betty and George Crisp Scholarship Fund was established in 1998 by Betty, B.S. ’66, and George, B.S.I.E. ’38, Crisp. Mrs. Crisp is a retired medical technologist from
Mr. Jeffrey R. Brashares, class of 1972, one of the most successful graduates of The University of Akron’s
The Will H. (Billie) Lipscombe Scholarship for Excellence was established in 1998 by one of Ms. Lipscombe's appreciative former students, Eugene H. Heston. Ms. Lipscombe was a mathematics instructor for students majoring in the science and technology areas at The University of Akron from 1921 to 1962. She represents true dedication to quality academic instruction, always holding her students to the same high standards of excellence she expected of herself.
The Edwin J. Gottfried Scholarship for Excellence in Business and the Edwin J. Gottfried Endowed Margin of Excellence Fund in the
Robert D. ’50 and Peggy A. Weed of
* * *
The Gill Family Doctoral Scholarship was established in 1999 by Kristine M. Gill and Richard A. Gill to recognize the efforts of The University of Akron College of Nursing Deans (Lillian J. DeYoung, E. Jane Martin, V. Ruth Gray, Cynthia Flynn Capers) and countless faculty in establishing the Joint Ph.D. in Nursing with
In 1999, the descendents of Dr. Charles M. Knight continued their generosity to the University. Paul G. and Lulu McDermott, who supported lectureships and scholarships in chemistry since 1986, provided an additional general scholarship endowment in 1999. Mrs. McDermott was the granddaughter of Charles M. Knight.
The Pauline and Kathryn Carr Memorial Scholarship Fund was established in 1999 by a gift from Marilyn J. Carr ‘60. Her mother, Pauline, was a member of the class of 1919, while her sister, Kathryn, graduated with the class of 1943. The Pauline and Kathryn Carr Memorial Scholarship Fund will be awarded based on need to a deserving student in any degree program at The University of Akron.
The Elizabeth Clemmer Motz Endowment in Nutrition/Dietetics was established for the purpose of providing funds to enhance the College of Fine & Applied Arts program that prepares students for the profession, which applies the science of food and nutrition to health.
* * *
Paul Martin’s profound generosity to the University continued, as he provided the Paul E. and Dorothy Garrett Martin Campus Endowment Fund to assure continued care of the Dorothy Garrett Martin Fountain and the
Dora Sapp Gordon endowed the Jacob and
Robert D. Weed ’50 and his wife, Peggy, provided important funding for business students in the University’s Scholarships for Excellence program. A building products distributor, he remembered attending The University of Akron at night on the GI bill and wanted to encourage students in the similar situations.
Campus beautification efforts continued with a gift from the Mary S. and David C. Corbin Foundation to create the
John D. and Helen I. Petrou owned
Alumnus Donato (Danny) Cianciola, a longtime
Andrew Yurkowsky, a photographer, established a scholarship for needy students of the Eastern Orthodox tradition, and Harry Gardner and Janet Dashiell Gardner established a
Helen L. Brown and her husband, Enslen, provided a generous endowment for a Scholarship for Excellence named in honor of University President Dr. Marion Ruebel.,They also funded endowments to support internships in the Ray C. Bliss Institute of Applied Politics, scholarships in the
Although they moved to
Luke Harrison Williams and his wife, Lillian, also transplanted themselves to
Extremely supportive were Dr. James D. and Claire D’Ianni, who later in the year created the Dr. and Mrs. James D. D’Ianni Research Endowment, the largest individual private gift ever made in support of research activities at The University of Akron. In previous years, he also funded the James D. and Dorothy H. D’Ianni Fellowship in Chemistry and the Dr. James D. D’Ianni Chemistry Endowment. D’Ianni, an alumnus, was director of research at the Goodyear Tire & Rubber Co. and collaborated with other industry chemists during World War II to invent synthetic rubber, a vital war material.
Also in 1999, Robert and Lois Criss provided a mechanical engineering Scholarships for Excellence endowment, and educator Roy O. and Lois Hinch established a general scholarship endowment. Raymond D. Meyo, a former trustee, and his wife, Marie, provided a gift of equipment to the University’s engineering labs, adding to many previous gifts.
The Irja and Aleksander Piirma Fellowship in Polymer Science, established in 1999, provides annual support to a graduate student in the Department of Polymer Science within the
* * *
OMNOVA Solutions provided a substantial gift of scientific equipment to the
Some forms of corporate giving became institutions in themselves. In 1999, The F.W. Albrecht Co. and its chain of local Acme grocery stores concluded a long-running, successful promotion with
By far the most generous of all corporate supporters through the years was
Goodyear’s commitment to The University of Akron’s 125th Anniversary Campaign surpassed that of all other corporations. Its corporate officers, directors, executives, and employees have been completely steadfast in their loyalty and have been constant, energetic backers of University programs.