Alumni, development offices to unite, relocate to InfoCision Stadium04/04/2013
Looking to increase efficiencies, develop greater opportunities for collaboration, and expand services to constituents, The University of Akron is building a welcoming, professional office environment for its Alumni Association and Development staffs, who engage with more than 200,000 alumni, friends, corporations, foundations, and organizations annually.
Personnel from both departments will be united and relocated to new offices in a 28,600-square-foot build-out on the second floor of InfoCision Stadium-Summa Field, a level of the press tower that currently is unused.
Members of the University’s alumni and development departments have long been limited by their office space: the aging Stitzlein Alumni Center, an 1870-era Victorian home, and the Paul E. Martin University Center, built as a private club in 1918. According to Ted Curtis, vice president of capital planning and facilities management, the buildings do not comply with the Americans with Disabilities Act and are too small to house their respective staffs.
The plan at InfoCision Stadium includes $4.1 million to outfit the second floor for both departments, as well as $900,000 to create a 1,900-square-foot kitchen for UA dining services; a 750-square-foot first-floor Welcome Center (the first of its kind at UA) to host prospective students, families, and visitors; and 80 new parking spaces. Construction is expected to be completed by August 2013.
Creating the new space was significantly more economical than costs associated with remodeling and upgrading the outmoded Stitzlein Center and Martin University Center.