Admission Requirements for M.S. and Ph.D. Programs
Students with undergraduate or graduate degrees in engineering, materials science, chemistry, or physics with outstanding grade point averages are encouraged to apply for admission in programs leading to M.S. and Ph.D. degrees in Polymer Engineering.
Requirements for admission into the Department of Polymer Engineering are as follows:
- A cumulative Grade Point Average (GPA) of:
- 3.00 or higher overall on a 4.00 scale; or,
- 3.00 or higher on a 4.00 scale for work completed in the last two years; or,
- 75 or higher overall on a 100 point scale.
- Students coming from foreign universities not offering letter grades must receive a "First Class" grade or equivalent.
- Students accepted for admission into M.S. and Ph.D. programs in Polymer Engineering typically have GPA's well above 3.00 on a 4.00 scale.
- Reporting of Graduate Record Examination (GRE) general test scores are mandatory and no application will be processed without GRE scores. The school code for The University of Akron is 1829.
- Three letters of professional recommendation are required. The letters must reference that the applicant has a strong potential to excel in course work and carry out independent scientific research. Reference letters should preferably be uploaded via the Apply Online system. Letters by the referees should be on their official institution/company letterhead. Letters of recommendation that are not on official letterhead or which are without signatures will be disregarded and may delay the application being reviewed. Letters of recommendation should be e-mailed to email@example.com or faxed to 330-972-6475 or mailed in hard copy directly to the Graduate School at the address indicated below.
- A Statement of Purpose (personal essay) should also be emailed to firstname.lastname@example.org or faxed to 330-972-6475 or mailed in hard copy directly to the Graduate School at the address indicated below.
- International students must submit official Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL) scores with a minimum total of either: 550 (pbt), 213 (cbt), 79 iBT or 6.5 for IELTS.
How to Apply
Please note the following Graduate Application Fees:
- First time Domestic Applicants: $45.00
- First time International Applicants: $70.00
- Reapplication: $45.00
You may apply online by clicking here, or on the button below. If you have corrections to your information (particularly your e-mail address) after you have submitted your application, please contact the Graduate School at email@example.com. Note: All communication regarding the status of your application will be sent via e-mail. Thus, it is important that we have your most up-to-date email address.
Please note that ALL application materials, forms, reference letters, and scores must be submitted to the Office of Graduate Admissions rather than to the Department of Polymer Engineering. The deadline for priority consideration of fully completed application files is December 1st each year. The deadline for regular admission consideration is January 15th. Exceptional candidates may be considered after the January 15th deadline. The Department of Polymer Engineering admits for Fall semester only. Questions regarding admission or the application process may be directed to Graduate School or to Mrs. Cheryl Slusarczyk in the Department of Polymer Engineering at:
Office of Graduate Admissions
Polsky Building 469
The University of Akron
Akron, OH 44325-2101
Mrs. Cheryl Slusarczyk
Department of Polymer Engineering
426 Polymer Engineering Academic Center
The University of Akron
Akron, OH 44325-0301