Dr. Matthew Becker
Associate Dean for Research
Department of Polymer Science
- 2003 Ph.D. Organic Chemistry, Washington University
- 2000 M.A. Organic Chemistry, Washington University
- 1998 B.S. Chemistry, ACS Accredited, Northwest Missouri State University
Dr. Becker's Research Website
My group focuses on synthesizing macromolecular materials, which stimulate and influence cell functions including proliferation, differentiation and internalization. These materials incorporate bio-functional species in a controlled manner with the goal of directing cell responses. We are developing new peptide-and DNA-based ligands and nanoparticle reporters for the characterization of molecular signatures, which occur during these processes. The knowledge gained from these studies impacts numerous areas in biomaterials, regenerative medicine, and the detection of disease states, including cancer.
Phone: (330) 972-2834
- J Yu, F Lin, P Lin, Y Gao, ML Becker* "Phenylalanine-based Poly(ester urea): Synthesis, Characterization and in vitro Degradation" Macromolecules 2014, 47(1),121-129.
- F Lin, J Yu, J Zheng, S Xie, ML Becker* "Post-electrospinning Modification of Amino acid-based Poly(ester urea) Nanofibers for Tissue Engineering" Macromolecules 2013, 46(24), 9515-9525.
- F Lin, J Yu, W Tang, J Zheng, A Defante, K Guo, C Wesdemiotis, ML Becker* "Photopatterned Functional Oxime Hydrogels with Tunable Mechanical Properties and Gelation Behavior" Biomacromolecules, 2013, 34, 9089-9095.
- LA Smith Callahan, S Xie, I Barker, J Zheng, DH Reneker, AP Dove, ML Becker "Accelerated Differentiation and Neurite Extension of mESC on Aligned Poly(lactide) Nanofibers Functionalized with YIGSR" Biomaterials, 2013, 34, 9089-9095.
- W Tang, Y Ma, S Xie, K Guo, B Katzenmeyer, C Wesdemiotis, ML Becker* "Valency Dependent Affinity of Hydroxyapatite-binding Dendrimers" Biomacromolecules, 2013, 14, 3304-3313.
- Y Ma, J Zheng, EF Amond†, CM Stafford, ML Becker* "Facile Fabrication of "Dual Click" One- and Two-Dimensional Orthogonal Peptide Concentration Gradients" Biomacromolecules, 2013, 14, 665-671.
- J Zheng, K Liu, DH Reneker, ML Becker "Post-Assembly Derivatization of Electrospun Nanofibers via Strain-Promoted Azide Alkyne Cycloaddition" J. Amer. Chem. Soc., 2012, 134(41), 17274-17277.
American Chemical Society
Society for Biomaterials
American Association for the Advancement of Science