September Safety Focus: Back to the Basics 201709/01/2017
PLEASE WATCH: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F6NEdcZY2WY
Thank you for helping make CPSPE a safer place! This month I want to review our Lab Safety Rules and focus on some of the safety issues I see every day during my walk through. Please review the UPDATED Lab Safety Rules.
This is a list of the most common problems in the labs:
- Not wearing approved safety glasses – prescription eye glasses without side shields are not acceptable eye protection.
- Not wearing lab coats when working in the lab.
- Hood sashes need to be closed overnight.
- Do not leave squeeze bottles with flammable liquids in unattended hoods.
- All chemical containers in the hood need to be labeled.
- Please make sure your work area is clear of trip hazards.
- Please document your hazardous waste.
- Flammable liquids left outside the flammable cabinets when no one is working with them.
Lab coats and approved safety glasses are mandatory in the labs. Any student not wearing approved safety glasses and lab coat while working in the lab will receive a student safety violation.
Make it a Safer Day!
College of Polymer Science & Polymer Engineering
The University of Akron