All graduates of regionally accredited Ohio high schools who take the American College Test (ACT) or the Scholastic Aptitude Test (SAT) are eligible to apply to UA for admission. You also must have passed the Ohio proficiency test. Out-of-state applicants will be admitted on the basis of their high school record and scores on the ACT or SAT entrance exams.
Students who meet the following requirements may be admitted directly into the Theatre program:
- A high school GPA of 3.0 or better
- A score of 20 on the ACT of a 950 SAT composite score
- Graduation in the upper 50% of the applicants high school class
- Completion of core high school college preparatory curriculum
Students wishing to major in Theatre who do not meet the above requirements are admitted into the program after successfully completing 32 undergraduate credits within the University with a GPA of 2.3 or better.
For general information about admission to The University of Akron, go to visit www.uakron.edu/admissions/.
Three easy steps to complete the application process:
- Submit the application through Apply Yourself found at the Graduate School website. Include the application fee. When applying list your choice of degree as "Theatre Arts." This will expedite the approval process. Graduate School procedures and application can be accessed at www.uakron.edu/gradsch. The phone number for Graduate Admissions is 330-972-7663.
- Have an official transcript from your undergraduate institution(s) sent to the UA Graduate School.
- Write and submit a 300-word statement of intent, summarizing your background and outlining your career goals.
- Note: The GRE is not required.
- Note: International students must submit TOEFL scores along with the application.
Two more easy, optional steps are advised:
- A personal interview is advisable, though not required.
- An example of historical or critical writing (such as a course paper) is advisable, though not required.