Graduate Assistantship Information
The Department of Economics awards approximately 10 graduate assistantships to qualified students. Assistantships are typically awarded for the entire length of the graduate program subject to successful progress. Graduate assistantships provide a stipend and the current tuition amount at UA. The department also awards a limited number of tuition waiver scholarships.
The Economics Department deadline is March 15 for you to be considered for the fall semester assistantship awards. Notification of admissions and assistantships awards are sent on a rolling basis. Sometimes there are limited assistantships offered for the spring semester. The deadline for these spring semester awards is Nov. 15.
All Applications (Domestic and International Students): In order to apply for a graduate assistantship you need to have:
- A completed application for the Master's Degree Program in Economics.
- A minimum of 2.75 cumulative GPA from an accredited university or college. The preferred applicant will have at least a 3.3 average in economics and mathematics.
- A completed Application for Graduate Assistantships which includes the Applicant's Statement that you could submit as an attachment. This is a short essay in which you explain why you believe you are qualified for an assistantship or fellowship. You should describe your undergraduate preparation as well as other relevant experiences, such as employment, teaching, activity in professional or technical societies, foreign languages read or spoken, and any other pertinent information.
International Student Applications
In addition to the requirements above, international students should:
- Submit a minimum TOEFL score of 550 (213 computer based). Specific requirements regarding the University's English Language Proficiency Requirements is available on the International Graduate Admissions page.
- Submit Graduate Record Examination (GRE) or Graduate Management Admission Test (GMAT) scores.
- Have the original official transcripts accompanied by exact certified English translations.
- Apply at least six (6) months in advance of the intended date of enrollment (highly recommended).